GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help with a purchase!!

Default Help with a purchase!!

Hey guys im trying to make this decision. My gut is saying no... talk me into it. The DME plug has a huge orange sticker on it saying "reprogramed" obviously placed there by a dealer. So tonight im searching around and discover that dealers actually tried to reprogram the DME to run at a higher temp to burn the gas differently. This was done on the Nikasil Blocks as to avoid warrenty replacement.

The car needs a new mount. Wondering if the rough vibration from the nikasil issue killed it at this point.

Also I've read the Nikasil roars its head in colder weather and causes the car to simply not start. Im here in columbus ohio. The weather has been below/hovering at freezing for a month. The car wont start and now i discover the orange reprogram sticker on the DME plug as im trying to trace the no start issue. I've already talked the guy down to 1000. He's telling me the car started a month ago. The last time he drove it. Should i steer clear? Offer 500.00?? I have the ability to work on the car. I dont want to replace the block....

Default check the block #

to see it it's a nikasil

The composition of the engine can be found by checking the serial number stamped into the engine block:

M60B30:

1 725 970 - Nikasil
    1 741 212 - Nikasil
    1 745 871 - Alusil
    M60B40:

1 725 963 - Nikasil
    1 742 998 - Nikasil
    1 745 872 - Alusil

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

My Nikasil has never had a problem starting cold. 174k miles on it and it has started on every turn of the key. Except once when the CPS went out, but that doesn't count.

Are you sure the vibration is from the engine? Most of the e34's have a wobble at speeds, and it can be fixed with new control arms/bushings.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Thanks for the replies!!! Im wiggin out. Ill check the block numbers. There is snow on the ground here. I didnt really want to get on the ground in freezing weather. Thanks for the numbers. Any kind of quick check for the no start issue? A quick run down of what I've done so far.
    1. Checked the Relay. It clicks when the ignition is turned.
    2. Checked the CPS it checks at 473 ohms -its very clean, no gunk.
    3. The Fuel system is energizing. -However,the fuel hoses coming off the filter(s) by the tank (right hand side by rear wheel) are leaking pretty badly.

BTW Block Numbers on the M60 are horizontal by third cylinder pass. side? Correct?