GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: :: Don't ditch your e34 :)

Default :: Don't ditch your e34 :)

I was going to write this a while back but it's just a short thought so I didn't bother. In a nutshell, came back from vacation and needed to go to Seaforth (300KM away). I've made this trip before in the 535 but this time I thought I'd just wing it for the sake of fuel economy in the ZX3. Bad idea.

I've driven 'her' car before but it was horrid. After about 20 minutes into the drive, I decided that it was due to the slushbox thinking in economy mode. Giving it a few kicks made it more ballsy... or I adapted to the slow uptake

The 2.0 Zetec just DRONES 120kph @ 3000rpm. No, this isn't because of the CAI, but it certainly didn't help. If I went 110kph @ 2700rpm or 140kph @ 3300rpm, it was dandy. 3000 just wasn't fun at all. As a result, I found myself leapfrogging 110 to 140 every so often. Of course, even now the SLIGHTEST push to 140 would cause a downshift (damn 4 gear). Not fun.

The trip itself was uneventful.

Came back and did errands in the 535. Man. Sure, it's an 88 car but m30 with a manual is just fun. It makes me forget that I'm filling up the tank every week and a half There's no way I'm getting rid of this car, even when I win the lottery. No, it's not because it's 'torquier' being sharked, but just the overall package FEELS solid (door brakes not withstanding). Really, this is the only car I've driven that doesn't feel like a tin can (again, e28 notwithstanding, but it wasn't a gutsy being a 528)

So... to end my rant, I can still safely say the ride outweights the cost of premium gas, for now.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Came back and did errands in the 535. Man. Sure, it's an 88 car but m30 with a manual is just fun. It makes me forget that I'm filling up the tank every week and a half There's no way I'm getting rid of this car, even when I win the lottery. No, it's not because it's 'torquier' being sharked, but just the overall package FEELS solid (door brakes not withstanding). Really, this is the only car I've driven that doesn't feel like a tin can (again, e28 notwithstanding, but it wasn't a gutsy being a 528)

So... to end my rant, I can still safely say the ride outweights the cost of premium gas, for now.
    That's good to know, why do you use premium gas? I didn't know that the M30 needs that...
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

people always talk about miles per gallon, but I like to talk about QUALITY miles per gallon.

Smiles per gallon = PRICELESS

Here's what you should do.

Drive a Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 V10 for a while. Then the mileage of the 535 will seem like a godsend.

After I sold my truck even 16-20mpg looked good.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg
    That's good to know, why do you use premium gas? I didn't know that the M30 needs that...
    Because it's sharked (EAT chip installed). The car drinks so much that the 2cents off a litre by using a certain MasterCard still adds up

I agree with everything qube said, almost.

I would never make my M30 a Daily driver. Too expensive/too prone for speeding/tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Digita1 Ecstasy
    I agree with everything qube said, almost.

I would never make my M30 a Daily driver. Too expensive/too prone for speeding/tickets.
    How can you resist not daily driving? The only other daily driver I would use would be a Z4 3.0. I've played with one and it's only FUN go-kart

Speeding tickets? My STi has paid for itself time and time again. Just remember, don't speed if you're the one ahead of the pack... or the only one on the road!

On that note, given that I paid about $4000 CAD for the car, I would never find another around that price this fun and practical to drive.

Same here. I've driven new bimmers and still prefer the e34 despite the pre-historic construction. The execution of the car is superb despite this, the refinement legendary. An e39 or later car is perhaps as good or even better, but they are ugly in comparison to the classic e34 design- sometimes I think I'd prefer an e28 to one of the newer cars.

If you have a problem with economy, consider your AFM. I thought mine was good, but once replaced with a MAF kit economy has increased by at least 8% over the previous chipped ECU and the power is up by what feels like a far greater amount. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast