GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e30 help steering lock

Default e30 steering lock FIXED :)

I know, wrong section. It's posted in the e30 as well, but this gets more hits and I'm kind of in a hurry to get this fixed.

Here's my orig post

I just picked up my 325i.

The key barrel won't turn. This isn't one of those "turns a little, just enough to insert...." It's completely locked. The steering wheel won't come unlocked and I can't get the barrel to turn anywhere close to the spot to insert a clip.

My Bentley is on the way, and it came with a Haynes. The Haynes said, to take off the steering wheel you need to unlock it.... but I can't. So I'm stumped.

What can I do?

I've tried to get on e30tech.com, but they wont activate my account.
    So yeah, can anyone offer me some advice? So far I've heard, "Give it brute force to break the lock." and "No don't, that will break the steering column tilt." ????
    Last edited by Macv; 02-25-2007 at 02:22 PM.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

if you are sure you have the correct non worn out key the easy solution needs a replacement column, run a sawzall (or hacksaw if you have nothing better to do) and cut straight down through the top of the column, that's where the lock that's trapping the wheel on is, about 3/4-1" down should do it and you can get the wheel off and strip the useful stuff of the column. sometimes you can gut the key lock out and not kill the column but it can be a bitch
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

That's what I was afraid to hear.

Use a hammer and hit hard on the steering wheel column while at the same time trying to turn the key.
    Sometimes that lock gets lose again.

get a new dealer key if you even think the key may be old and crappy, you'd be surprised how many cars we fix that just need a new key
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I just had a new key made.

Shogun, I've actually been told to do that, someone said they had to work with it for 30 minutes or so, but they eventually got it.

I'll work at it, thanks guys.

If you have any other ideas... I'm all ears

Just an update, I've got the fracture bolts off as well as the plastic piece, the column is basically hanging. But I cannot, for the life of me, release the lock on the steering wheel. The key still won't turn.

Does anyone have a diagram of where I can drill through the lock to release the key barrel?

I might have a donor steering column by Monday.

Default #11

has to retract to release the wheel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I'm aware of that. That's the piece I'm fighting.

The key barrel (am I even naming this right?) is all "gunked" up and won't allow all of the pins to line up, which is causing the key to not turn and release the lock.

Default When in doubt

drill it out!

Use a good quality 1/2" bit, mark it with tape to the length of the key and drill right down the center ripping all the tumbler pins out stopping at the tape to save the lock mount.

If you don't care about the lock mount drill away

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast