GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Harmonic Balancer. Has anyone removed it?

Default Harmonic Balancer. Has anyone removed it?

I have that well known leak from one of the bolts for the bracket that holds the crank position sensor. To get that bolt out, you have to remove the harmonic balancer. Has anyone removed the harmonic balancer before? Is it held on by one big nut or does it come off by removing the smaller individual bolts?

Default Get out your big guns. 350lb-ft pops into mind for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by happifella
    I have that well known leak from one of the bolts for the bracket that holds the crank position sensor. To get that bolt out, you have to remove the harmonic balancer. Has anyone removed the harmonic balancer before? Is it held on by one big nut or does it come off by removing the smaller individual bolts?

Default As seen here its usually only one of the two

bolt that leaks the other doesn't go all the way through and you can remove the one that leaks to seal it....Here is Koalamotorsport

the 13mm bolts pull the balancer, the big one does the hub that the balancer is bolted to

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

There is not enough room to remove the bolt completely. It can only be backed out a small amt before it runs into the back of the vibration damper (the unit that has all the teeth on it). The vibration damper is what needs to be removed. From the diagram I posted, does part #2 (pulley) have to come off for the damper to come off or does the damper just pull off over the top of the pulley?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by happifella; 04-30-2004 at 02:29 PM. Reason: more detail

the same 13mm bolts that hold #2 on also hold on #1
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thank Winfred!

When removing the vibration damper, do I need to make sure I install it in the EXACT same position as it was removed? Or is there an alignment pin or something that will automatically tell me where to reposition it?

Thanks!

pin