GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Thoughts on passat vr6

Default OT: Thoughts on passat vr6

Thinking of picking up a 1996 passat vr6 5 speed with about 200K miles as a spare car for my boys to drive. Price is around $2k. I have never owned a vw and would appreciate your opinions.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

I've only extensively driven a B3 VR6 and though 'fun', it just didn't feel nimble like the Corrado (driven 4-5 times). The B3 was fudgly looking without front grill. I haven't driven a B4. Only other Passat I have extensively driven was a 1.8T B5 :|

Why a VR6 Passat and not a usual MKIII 2-slo Golf or something (found under or near your asking)? Parts are plentiful as well... not as sure with the B4. You feel the need to give them something imitating performance with a VR?

Take my comments as drivel until someone knowledgable about the B4 VR6 steps in heh.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I guess I figure the passat is a safer car bcz it is bigger than a golf. Another possibility is a 1995 530i that I found nearby with 211k for about the same price. However, it is an auto (too bad) and probably too fast. But I might check that out as well.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default Good cars but

if BMW was with the plastic in the motor, then VW is criminally insane.

Repairs will make you appriciate the BMW even more.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    if BMW was with the plastic in the motor, then VW is criminally insane.

Repairs will make you appriciate the BMW even more.

A lot of kids out here have the VR6 gtis and ****. I don't see whats so amazing, they don't take care of the engines either, especially when they just drop in these huge turbos into these cars their mommys bought them. Dumbshits.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

High oil consumption is a problem with the VR6's. A co-worker needs a quart every 700 miles and he's only got 110k miles.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by brick8
    Thinking of picking up a 1996 passat vr6 5 speed with about 200K miles as a spare car for my boys to drive. Price is around $2k. I have never owned a vw and would appreciate your opinions.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Too fast eh? Just get them a 2slo Golf and rack up brownie points for insurance driving first A VR6 will up your ins too eh.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

dont get a vw.
    I've had a few and they are no fun even when they are working fine because you dread the next thing that is going to break.
    BMWs are so refreshing and easier to maintain. A passat w/ 200K is ready for major problems. Heck, I had a brand new Jetta that I gave back to the dealer because at 1200 miles they tore the engine apart and were clueless as to what was wrong with my car. After that, I go and get a friggin' cabriolet for the wife. Ended up replacing everything, seriously, the damn thing is new and I want it out of my life.

How about another volvo 850, I see them all the time from n/a 5cyl to T5 for around $2K

If it were my kids, they'd be in a '92 240DL slow+safe.

my girl had a 97 passat glx vr6 and it was by far the worst car ive ever had to deal with. There made cheap, and it shows, the interior went to crap really quik. To get a door handle and a window fixed it cost her 1k. The thing is horrible to work on as well. Even a break job is a pain the ASS. I would buy anything but that car, hers only had like 130k on it and it was dying fast. DO NOT BUY!!!

I am convinced, no vw. I want to buy a car with a manual transmission so that when they get old they won't be totally clueless about how to drive a 5 speed. Hard to find a used volvo or a bimmer with a 5 speed.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast