GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: What kind of engine/transmission should Fiona get?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • V8 M60 B40 + 6 Speed

13 30.95%
  • V12 M70 + 6 Speed

13 30.95%
  • S52 + 5 Speed

8 19.05%
  • Hold out for an S62 deal

8 19.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A really important POLL

Default A really important POLL

Now I'm really getting down to it. Fiona - my touring - is at the body shop getting cleaned up and when she comes back, I want to get started with the swap.

In case you missed it -- http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30854

I still haven't decided what to do yet. Here's what's transpired.

- S62/6 is a nice idea, but turns out to be unrealistic at this point. Autosport wants 15 GRAND for their kit (!), and the guy on eBay wants 6. I'm not about to pay 6 gees for an engine/trans with questionable history that needs MAFs/DME/EWS modules right off the bat. Also, S62 oil consumption is a big issue, as is vanos noise and the fact that the dealers seem to replace a LOT of these motors for expensive reasons. So the S62 is out, unless I stumble on a deal.

- I have an M60 6 speed kit, I also have the B40 alusil motor in my parts car. This is the cheapest possible solution, with the most bang for the buck, but it's still not that exciting to me.

- I'm still thinking about an M70. The 6 speed transmission is $4400 and the engine would cost around two grand if I can find the right car. The killer expensive parts are the flywheel/clutch. Right off the bat, I'd be spending around 2 times as much on parts to do this as the M60 swap and I'd go over my budget for the car. The novelty factor is sweet, though, and I think the car would be more desirable in the long run.

- I know I said the S5x swap was pretty much out of the question, but then this wrecked out E36 with an S52 showed up. I'd need to throw at least $500 at the motor to get it operational. And the trans is a ZF munchbox, unknown quality. But I could own the car for $2500.

Some other possibilities have popped up -- an M106 turbo motor and a complete S38B38 kit. The M106 doesn't do it for me, and the S38B38 would be poseur.

So, with these options, what would you do if you were in my shoes and wanted to build an alternative to importing an M5T?
    Last edited by Kalevera; 02-21-2007 at 06:46 PM.

M70 and gearbox!!!
    You've a lot of balls going to the bodyshop before such a project, I would need one after to fix all the damage to the fenders.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

why doesn't a m106 do it for you?

The S62 would be the most impressive, but I don't think the expense and hassle would be worth it. M70 would be very cool, but I have to vote for the M60. Its the most practical choice, which may be kind of boring, but the best bang for the buck is what sells me on it. Leaves more money for wheels, tires or whatever else you want to do her.

sell me ur 6 speed trans

who is Winfred?

I couldnt tell you, I have heard this since I joined...must be some kind of insiders joke or something
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrot1
    who is Winfred?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    sell me ur 6 speed trans
    It looks like it is tentatively for sale. Flywheel, pressure plate, pivot arm included. Clutch had a 2000 date stamp on it. Bench shifts great into all 7 gears, turns smoothly, drained the fluid and it had ZERO filings.

Because one is making its way into Fritz and I'm not so interested in doing that kind of swap on another car. I'd have to fab a custom motor mount, find a trans/flywheel, find the correct power steering pump. It's more work than I want to do for 255 HP out of the box. I can do the M60 swap, have the engine bay look clean and factory, and get more power out of the gate with less aggravation.

Whit, that trans looks sweet! no dark leakage, it could be a great start too!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast