GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: anyone know anything about TDI's

Default OT: anyone know anything about TDI's

going to look at a VW TDI, its a 1999.5 (so newer style) which i heard have alot of problems, but im still drawn in by the 700 miles to the tank claims. im mostly looking for any known issues with the longevity of the engine, would a car with 199k miles be at the end of its lifespan, or dose it still have some life like a m30

thanks

kyle

BTW sorry for posting here but its easyier then joining thr TDI forum and haveing people telling em to use the search button

Kyle,

The tdi's are pretty good solid engines, but seem to have some issues with the wastegate , it cloggs up with the greasier exhaust fumes and stops working propperly creating overboost and therefore activating the overboost protection cirquit resulting in almost stalling the engine, the maf unit is also a weak point on the tdi's from VW and Audi. Elictrical malfunctions are also an frequent issue on the pre 2000 engines and sometimes a hell to find.

humm i see, wonder if its worth 3500

We put 70,000 on a 2000 TDI & the only failures were the MAF which went out 3 times in 10k starting at 39k. VW was in denial at that time but 2 years after we sold the car they issued a recall so we finally got full reimbursement for the repairs. The key to keeping the MAF sensor healthy on the TDIs is a clean air filter. Don't even think about using the factory specified change intervals unless they've come out with a much more durable sensor. The timing belt has to be done every 50k on the autos & 60k on the manuals & it's not cheap to have done.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

im prone to doing repairs myself

i have only heard good things myself here in OZ. I was actually thinking of test driving a new one pretty soon.

a general note about these types of diesels, I have heard from a number of sources and seen through my work on larger diesels. Recommendations to get the injectors cleaned or replaced at 100 000 km (3000 hrs i have seen on the bigger german diesels which is about 3 yrs). just a thing to think about especially considering the high sulfur in american diesel when compared with europe or australia.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    im prone to doing repairs myself
    So am I but changing the belt on the TDI isn't a fun job & I didn't have my lift at that time so we farmed it out.

I believe the current owner mentioned replacing injectors around 120k but now that we have the low sulfur fuel over here they should last longer.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    So am I but changing the belt on the TDI isn't a fun job & I didn't have my lift at that time so we farmed it out.

I believe the current owner mentioned replacing injectors around 120k but now that we have the low sulfur fuel over here they should last longer.
    I think the injector clean/change it still applies with low sulphur, VW wouldn't even bring TDi's into Australia without low sulfur i think high sulphur diesel might cause damage to the catalytic converter/particulate filters that they have in the exhaust.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast