GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: My Lucky Day thanks to YOU GUYS!

Default My Lucky Day thanks to YOU GUYS!

Decided to change the oil in my Dinan 5 today. Had heard about oil pump bolts backing out on this forum. (M60 Engines) Pulled the lower pan and guess what I found. A F*** oil pump bolt!!! Thank You Gentlemen!, the postings on this site saved my engine. Any one know how much play should be in the drive chain for the oil pump? T.I.A.

Man, those oil pump bolts would scare the hell out of me if I had a V8.

Can't help ya out though.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

I think at one time, Shogun showed a picture of one where they drilled a small hole thru the web of an adjacent casting feature, to make provision for using safety tie wire so one does not have this happen again. I thought about it at one time about buying a 1/2 dozen or so oil pump bolts and drilling the hex heads for safety wire & offering them for sale for a token amount, similar to the m30 spraybar banjo bolts that I do. If anyone is interested, let me know & I will add it to my offerings or contact me and I can drill a hole thru your existing bolt for $1 plus postage.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

TC535i Guest

Everyday I hear another story about this... I really need to get around to dropping the pan, but I really don't think it's gonna happen till May.

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I think at one time, Shogun showed a picture of one where they drilled a small hole thru the web of an adjacent casting feature, to make provision for using safety tie wire so one does not have this happen again. I thought about it at one time about buying a 1/2 dozen or so oil pump bolts and drilling the hex heads for safety wire & offering them for sale for a token amount, similar to the m30 spraybar banjo bolts that I do. If anyone is interested, let me know & I will add it to my offerings or contact me and I can drill a hole thru your existing bolt for $1 plus postage.
    There's a number of bolts in there, if they're more than a buck or two each, would you consider doing some sort of a core deal? I'd like to do this, I have your safety wire setup on my 535i and wouldn't hesitate for a second to throw it on the 540i, especially considering how often you hear about the bolt issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    Man, those oil pump bolts would scare the hell out of me if I had a V8.

Can't help ya out though.
    FYI it is not unusual for the oil pump sprocket to fall off on m50/s50 engines the retaining nut backs itself out.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Here's a few pic's of the safety wire thanks to Shogun:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/319605

As far as I can tell, it's just the one bolt that holds the pump to the block? (edit: correction -- 3 bolts Shogun says, one needs a sheetmetal tab added to tie to). Anyone want to study the diagram at www.realoem.com and let me know what's involved. I'll be happy to go on the hook for the cost of a few sets of bolts & have them ready to go. I don't need to get rich doing it, just enough to upgrade from Alpo to Fancy Feast Gourmet when I retire
    Last edited by gale; 02-18-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

10mm chain play
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks 632 regal I must have at least 20mm now. Looks like I'm heading to the dealer for some o rings and nuts.