GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Darting ack and forth??? Any Help?

Default Steering Darting ack and forth??? Any Help?

Ok, Fixed the trans program... So no I have to work through other issue...

I installed 06 750IL wheel and tires on my 90 750IL and the tires are wider but fit. Max size in case anyone is wondering is 245/40/r18 in front and 245/50/r18 in back.

Now that I have larger front tires the steering is darting back and forth.... Sometimes it will steer normal then all the sudden pull to the left and I can correct then it is like that a while then might go back center or dart the other direction...

Any one have any Ideas?

sounds like tramlining.

how are your tierods and center linkage? if they are old id replace them. also check tire pressures.

Thats what my car is doing. I got new tie rods and an alignment with new tires and walaa, i can barely drive my car..... Looks like I just drank a case of beer when I drive.....

Pat

Ok, I assume the tire pressure is fine since they tires were brand new today... I have no idea if the tierods or linkage is good or bad. I will be inspecting it soon, since this isn't drivable like it is. Just way too dangerous for anyone to drive I feel....

It only became apparent when I installed the 18" tires and wheels. the Stock 15" tires and wheels seemed to drive fine other than a horrible shimmy sometimes around 45+ mph. It would be so bad I would have to slow down and try to accelerate again. Any of these symptoms sound familiar or can they influence this "tramlining"?

Quote Originally Posted by kenehresman
    Ok, I assume the tire pressure is fine since they tires were brand new today... I have no idea if the tierods or linkage is good or bad. I will be inspecting it soon, since this isn't drivable like it is. Just way too dangerous for anyone to drive I feel....

It only became apparent when I installed the 18" tires and wheels. the Stock 15" tires and wheels seemed to drive fine other than a horrible shimmy sometimes around 45+ mph. It would be so bad I would have to slow down and try to accelerate again. Any of these symptoms sound familiar or can they influence this "tramlining"?
    The answer to your problem lies in forum`s excellent pages. OFFSET! Somewhere in bruno`s site is all the offsets and sizes, not clever enough to pass on details but they are there.If you don`t have wobble caused by centre hole of wheel being wrong then it must be offset.

Not sure I followed that Post, who is Bruno, and where is his site? And are we talking wheel offset??? These wheels are off an 06 750IL and are on a 90 750IL, the offset is like only 2mm difference from the stock wheel and tire combination... More information please....

make sure that the tires are not rubbing on the struts, another thing to look at set the steering wheel straight and then look at the tires, to they point straight ahead and line up with the rear tires when you look at them from the front, if not the alignment is off, i have been doing this **** long enough i can tell at a glance what the alignment is like, towed out and it wants to dart back and forth as the road changes, towed in and it's hard to steer till you get to a certain point and it takes off
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

The Tires indeed are close, like probably 1/4 inch from the strut but not rubbing.... COuld be alignment, this car has 230K miles, and has been neglected for the last 1-2 years, so who knows....

FWIW, what are the most common failures to look for in the front end of a 230K mile car?

Winfred dead right.1/4 inch liveable,so check alignment by length of string front to back across diameter of wheel.Still worth checking I.D. of wheel and O.D. of hub centre.Bruno is at Racing Kings I think.Bow down and pray to Winfred!Failure factor,hubs,steering joints,inner wishbone bushes,nut behind wheel.

Larger tires and wheels exacerbate any front end issues that you may not have known you had. I would also look at Control Arm / Thrust Arm Bushings as if they are worn they wont be able to hold the new wheels and tires in place. You are putting non-factory standard stresses on old bushings and they are just letting you know - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast