GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Easiest oil change ever

Default Easiest oil change ever

I've changed oil on every car/truck I've owned, which is something like 50 vehicles. So far my 525i was the easiest. No need to jack up the car, or even crawl under it. I pulled the bolt out and let the oil drain from the filter. Changing O-rings adds a bit but being able to do the job without spilling a drop and without crawling under the car makes up for it.

Just thought I'd share
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

i agree. BMW made the filter easy to get to and the drain plug is easy. im pretty sure on my 540 i can be able to get the drain plug without even jacking the car up. my driveway has a little big ot an incline before it levels out so all i really need to do is just back it up and crawl under there. hopefully my drain pain will fit.

i used to work at one of those quick lube places and let me tell you. the german cars (besides VW) were always the easiest to get to. Mercedes are the same way but u need a special socket to remove the filter assembly the proper way. or use a rag and a pait of oil filter pliers. american cars are the worst. particuarly the ford V8s. Those damn filters are burried in there.

my car is lowered, so i need ramps to fit the drain pan under there... but i didnt before it was lowered!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

my 535 with m tech suspension isnt quite high enough to get under there to get the bolt out,but if you know where it i you can just get it out.Sometimes i get the jack just to raise the car a few inches.The oill filter is gret though.
    Gone but not forgotten

I love changin the oil in the bimmers. Just changed my intrepid 3.5 ..... how you supposed to fill that filter and get it in there.... its like a 20 degree angle.... makes me more appreciative of my 535 every day i drive some other p.o.s.

Pat

I used to hate changing the filter on my 2nd wife's early 90s Honda Civic. It was up behind the engine inaccessible from above & loved to spill its contents all over the exhaust. Back then I was still crawling around under cars, nowadays they all go up on the lift so oil changes are a breeze even on my daughter's Sentra.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

20 degree eh, well a nissan murano is on a 90 degree angle!!

no use in filling that sucker.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

i hate to rain on people's parade, but i think that doing an oil change on the e34 sucks compared to ford's vulcan motor. i can do one of those in 15 minutes without spilling a drop of oil, whereas the e34 likes to dribble in 270 degrees for about a foot around, and takes me near an hour (including soaking a new filter in oil in a ziploc, cleaning all of the removed components like can lid, drainplug, et cetera with carb cleaner). perhaps it is because the sump is so big, that the wind gets a chance to blow more of it around. the only thing the e34 has going for it IMHO is that you can stick a bag under a cartridge easier than you can a spin on to avoid a mess.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

You just need a bigger oil pan...

My 01 250 V10 wasn't too bad. It was lifted so you could almost sit under it. Still spilled oil though.

Isn't the vulcan the V6? I had a 3.0 ranger that was OK, although my memories of changing it are fading. My 5.4 150 sucked.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed