GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel in Canada

Default Travel in Canada

Greetings all,
    Am travelling from Montreal/Toronto to Vancouver at end March in my U.K.plate 525TDS.Bruno has advised as regards average speeds but do I need winter tyres? How tolerant are Mounties on Europe speeds? The reason for doing all the trip in Canada is the Customs buggerance factor as will have a boot full of Racing King spares and a non-biometric Passport! Any advice on places to stay/avoid welcome.Car has to go back but AP 4 pots,260hp non-electronic diesel and 6 speed box do not, as long as it goes into the container, fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    How tolerant are Mounties on Europe speeds?
    Quebec and Ontario have provincial police, all the rest of Canada is patrolled by the Mounties and NONE of them are tolerant on Europe speed so be advised...

but do I need winter tyres?
    Come the end of March, you should be fine with all-season tires... I would also advise you fill up often when you see a service-station with diesel fuel as it is not available everywhere and sometimes, you can look around a for a while before finding some...

Any advice on places to stay/avoid welcome.?
    If you come to Montreal, you must see the nightlife, especially our, shall we say, local hospitality establishements where local hostesses will make you discover some of the local flavors... to put it mildly.. Oh, and also, while in Quebec, you must go to a local restaurant and try a "poutine"... Your heart and your arteries will thank you... Happy trails...

Jeff
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

If you choose to drive on winter tires, i would stay very aware of the weather forecasts, because at the end of march things can change quite fast and your could find yourself in a small blizzard with unsafe tires. Just be careful.

Personally, i wouldn't drive faster than 120 km/h on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Montreal525
    Quebec and Ontario have provincial police, all the rest of Canada is patrolled by the Mounties and NONE of them are tolerant on Europe speed so be advised...

Come the end of March, you should be fine with all-season tires... I would also advise you fill up often when you see a service-station with diesel fuel as it is not available everywhere and sometimes, you can look around a for a while before finding some...

If you come to Montreal, you must see the nightlife, especially our, shall we say, local hospitality establishements where local hostesses will make you discover some of the local flavors... to put it mildly.. Oh, and also, while in Quebec, you must go to a local restaurant and try a "poutine"... Your heart and your arteries will thank you... Happy trails...

Jeff
    Thanks for info so far,had not reckoned on fuel factor,at 725 a tank,it has never been a problem before,even in russia! Is it all high Sulphur Diesel?Whilst they are not tolerant,is it expensive? I take it that knowledge of french is an asset? As a Rum drinking man i suppose i had better bring my own supplies?!

Thanks for info so far,had not reckoned on fuel factor,at 725 a tank,it has never been a problem before,even in russia! Is it all high Sulphur Diesel?Whilst they are not tolerant,is it expensive? I take it that knowledge of french is an asset? As a Rum drinking man i suppose i had better bring my own supplies?!
    Yes, party in Montreal.

Yes, french will be an asset.

The speeding 'menu' varies from province to province, but 120 kph in a 100 kmh zone will net you an approximately $100-$150 fine. Fines increase exponentially and they take teir sweet time handing out the ticket so the minivan you past an hour ago will be laughing when they drive by

I get ~1000km/tank and still find ways to coast into gas stations. Not every dot on the map has gas, especially in the praries. A town is just a grain elevator and three chickens.

No, you'll find plenty of rum on the road.

Travel route tips:

Take HW 17 along the lake superior shore, not HW 11 through Timmons. Much nicer drive, one of the best in the country. Toronto to Thunder Bay -15 hours @ 100kph.

Little choice through the praries. Thunder Bay to Winnipeg - 7 hours

Winnipeg - Regina - 7 more boring hours (sleep at 'Barneys' in Branbon Man if it works out. They pay 10 cents for every fly you kill and bring to the front desk, really).

Regina - Calgary - 8 hours. Again, extremely boring. Bring music. Good music. Or a woman.

Calgary to Kamloops - 8 hours. Now it gets fun. Stop in Banff, do the tourist stuff, try not to pay for it . Great driving around Golden and revelstoke. Go for a drive up to the dam, or Mt. Revelstoke National Park outside of Revelstoke for some twisties, just watch for the signs or ask someone. Stop at Three Valley Gap and the Enchanted Forest to see some Cheesy Canadiana and huge western red cedar trees. Lalalalalala.........., eventually you get to Kamloops.

Kamloops to Vancouver via HW 1 (the old HW, recommended, more scenic) - 4- 5 hours depending on weather and traffic. It can get busy.

Have a good drive. Did I mention the praries are boring?

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 02-17-2007 at 12:51 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Winnipeg - Regina - 7 more boring hours (sleep at 'Barneys' in Branbon Man if it works out. They pay 10 cents for every fly you kill and bring to the front desk, really).
    Amazing. I lived in Brandon for thirty years, know Barneys well, and never heard of this. If I'd known about it, I'd never have moved to England.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Yes, party in Montreal.

Yes, french will be an asset.

The speeding 'menu' varies from province to province, but 120 kph in a 100 kmh zone will net you an approximately $100-$150 fine. Fines increase exponentially and they take teir sweet time handing out the ticket so the minivan you past an hour ago will be laughing when they drive by

I get ~1000km/tank and still find ways to coast into gas stations. Not every dot on the map has gas, especially in the praries. A town is just a grain elevator and three chickens.

No, you'll find plenty of rum on the road.

Travel route tips:

Take HW 17 along the lake superior shore, not HW 11 through Timmons. Much nicer drive, one of the best in the country. Toronto to Thunder Bay -15 hours @ 100kph.

Little choice through the praries. Thunder Bay to Winnipeg - 7 hours

Regina - Calgary - 8 hours. Again, extremely boring. Bring music. Good music. Or a woman.

Calgary to Kamloops - 8 hours. Now it gets fun. Stop in Banff, do the tourist stuff, try not to pay for it . Great driving around Golden and revelstoke. Go for a drive up to the dam, or Mt. Revelstoke National Park outside of Revelstoke for some twisties, just watch for the signs or ask someone. Stop at Three Valley Gap and the Enchanted Forest to see some Cheesy Canadiana and huge western red cedar trees. Lalalalalala.........., eventually you get to Kamloops.

Kamloops to Vancouver via HW 1 (the old HW, recommended, more scenic) - 4- 5 hours depending on weather and traffic. It can get busy.

Have a good drive. Did I mention the praries are boring?

Dave
    Excellent write up Dave... makes me feel like a road trip!
    You might want to invest in a radar detector for your trip...
    illegal yes, but may make it safe to travel at Euro speeds!

Be sure to have that "Poutine" in Quebec, I am not sure than anyone outside the province truly makes a decent one! Personally, Lafleurs is the best by far!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    If you choose to drive on winter tires, i would stay very aware of the weather forecasts, because at the end of march things can change quite fast and your could find yourself in a small blizzard with unsafe tires. Just be careful.

Personally, i wouldn't drive faster than 120 km/h on average.
    More than good so far! did I mention autobahn`s are boring? now budgeting for Mounty tariff.With a name like mine where else am I staying, with a shotgun? Company welcome for trip,36D minimum and a pulse.My only experience of area is Suffield Training Area a long time ago and wearing uniform was not a good idea then.Keep advice coming,Ring tickets available for brave as well as accomodation.

There are fewer cops and less traffic in western Canada in my experience, and apparently less tendency fo them to have speed traps. I suspect that the Mounties are less of a money-maker for the local government there than in the US.

I've safely driven at the speed limit + 10% all over the continent without being stopped. Faster than that, you get tickets and burn significantly more fuel, so give back whatever time gain you may have from higher speed. This is not autobahn speed, but then the autobahn no longer is, either.

Try and plan some time in the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. The side roads are good, beautiful, and very lightly traveled. And, going straight past Banff without going up to Jasper and back on the parkway is criminal. This is among the most beautiful drives in the world, and if you come this far and ignore that, you're really missing a major opportunity.
    Dash01
    '90 535ia 272K miles

Quote Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW
    Excellent write up Dave... makes me feel like a road trip!
    You might want to invest in a radar detector for your trip...
    illegal yes, but may make it safe to travel at Euro speeds!

Be sure to have that "Poutine" in Quebec, I am not sure than anyone outside the province truly makes a decent one! Personally, Lafleurs is the best by far!

don't get a radar detector, 500 dollar fine in quebec and they seize the detector. Also, not all that useful in this province as laser is prevalent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast