GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing fuel filters this weekend?

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Default Changing fuel filters this weekend?

Bruno's site says you need visegrips to clamp the fuel line. Would regular spring clamps be strong enough?
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

In my experience, no... spring clamps are not strong enough. U don't have ANY visegrip? You can try it... with visegrip, I put a rag or any protective material around the fuel line before I clamp it down to prevent any damage to fuel line.

Maybe a really big spring clamp have enough force to crimp the fuel hose shut.

Default Small C clamps work well too, i usually use either c clamps or vice grips with

a piece of rubber 5/8 heater hose over the jaws of the vice grips or on the pads of the c clamps to cushion it so they don't cut into the fuel lines.

Quote Originally Posted by scott540
    Bruno's site says you need visegrips to clamp the fuel line. Would regular spring clamps be strong enough?

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

thanks bill, C- clamps, spring clamps, pipe clamps I got . Used to have a vise grip somewhere.

Woodworker trying to work on a car.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Default Since you're a woodworker you probably have some of the orange rubber pads that

slip over the jaws on a clamp to protect delicate items.. those would work just fine on a fuel line..

thanks bill, C- clamps, spring clamps, pipe clamps I got . Used to have a vise grip somewhere.

Woodworker trying to work on a car.

pinch the lines....hmm. that would have been a nice option when I did mine a while back.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default You still get to wear Eau de gasoline perfume for a day but not as bad...

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    pinch the lines....hmm. that would have been a nice option when I did mine a while back.

This should do the job but make sure you elevate the back end of the car and do it with as little fuel in the tank as possible. It is going to siphon anyway but... Eau to gasolina...parfume

Rich

Unregistered Guest

You don't need a clamp. Just remove the fuse for the fuel pump, crank the engine to remove the pressure from the lines (it probably won't start but if it does just let it die), then remove the clamps and pull the hose off the filter(s) and exchange for a new one. You might get a little fuel out of the filter so don't tip it until you're over a container.

Jeeves

94 540ia

I enjoyed the filters dumping their full amount down my arms while on my back the best, If some is good than more is better!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast