GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: "new" 93 525i 5 speed with a couple problems and a few questions

Default "new" 93 525i 5 speed with a couple problems and a few questions

This is my first post here, my second BMW. I used to have a 76 530i that was a lot of fun.

I bought this car mainly for transportation with the intent of fixing it up a little if it proves reliable. It has 182,000 miles on it. My first tank I got 25mpg with a little bit of spirited driving . My second tank I took it pretty easy and got 31mpg, and it feels really good so I think the motor is good. Paid $1800
    It came with every receipt from day one, so I have a very clear record of what has been done.

It needs paint (clear coat is oxidized badly and lots of scratches, but very straight), the interior isn't great, but it's better than some of the high mileage ones I've looked at. It's silver grey, exterior is forest green.

I've already ordered a few parts to take care of a couple things. I ordered the flex thing for the drive shaft, the carrier bearing, shift linkage bushings, the 3 lights for the OBC (thanks to the tech on this site I didn't buy another) and a glove box latch. I also ordered a set of hoses and belt.

I'm going to look at a set of 2000 740 rims and tires tomorrow night. If they are as good as the pic I'll get them. One of my stockers is bent, so the spare is on it.

The shocks/struts need to be replacement (never replaced), so I could use some suggestions on a good replacement set. I really don't have a base line so even stock replacement would probably be great. I won't be lowering the car.

The problems I'm having:

License plate light doesn't work on right side, and the warning on the dash comes up. No voltage to that side. I'll trace the wire back, I'm guessing it probably connects to the power for the other side as well? If anyone has dealt with it I could use a pointer.

Sometimes it warns me the parking light is out, but as far as I can tell everything works but the license plate light.

Coolant Low message comes up, Coolant is topped off and fresh. I'm guessing there is a sensor somewhere?

SRS light flashes for several miles then stays lit.

The steering feels pretty good, adjusted the box. There is a hint of some worn parts up front but no shimmies or shakes. If I make this a keeper I'll probably go through everything.

My plan is to wait a couple months to make sure I like it and it's reliable, and then repaint it. I've got a friend who will do a nice job in the original color for a good price. He does good work. I'll probably make a couple visual upgrades like new headlights, new tail lights and a tint job. For very little money I think it could look pretty sharp.

For the money I think it's great. It beats an $1800 toyota or honda any day.

First post, hope to be around for a long time

Eric
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

I was thinking maybe a set of these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't priced them locally, but I bet I wouldn't be able to beat the price.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

I don't know an intelligent person who's ever been happy with KYBs on a BMW.

The light warning/dead light is probably a pinched wire in the trunk hinge wiring loom. Driver's side, right next to the hinge. The wires don't respond well to being bent over and over and break. The coolant level sensor is in the radiator, same side as the filler cap. Check the wires on the sensor before replacing it, they may be corroded.

Thanks for the tips.

Any suggestions for shocks and struts?
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed