GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two 12's or one 15" JL audio W3 subs...audio guys thanks

Unregistered Guest

Default two 12's or one 15" JL audio W3 subs...audio guys thanks

nt

damn, thats gonna be a lot of bump in the trunk. I'd personally go with 2 12's, primarily because i like the look of subs in pairs as opposed to individual ones. but thats just my suggestion.

Yeah, I have two 12's... but there's a downside. I have it hooked up to a 150wpc RMS amp. Now, the gain is turned all the way down, the bass level is all the way down on the amp, I have the crossover set at like 90hz, and I have the bass turned all the way down on the head unit...

and the bloody thing still thumps.

Like, there's no way for me to listen to my stereo in such a way that I just HEAR the bass, rather than actually FEELING it.

So... unless you want to permanently and irrevocably turn your car into a pounding bassmobile, consider either 1) 50 watts RMS or less, or 2) dual 8s or 10s instead of 12s, or BOTH.

I have dual 10s on a 35wpc RMS in my wife's car and it sounds very nice.

-Andy
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Set the crossover to 75 Hz or lower. See if this help. 90 is too high of a crossover for bass.

I am not sure what setup you have... you have practically no bass inside the car except from the subs... you need to set the speakers to the way you like inside and then go adjust the subwoofer settings.

Default I know ;)

I already adjusted the crossover cutoff. It might be a touch high, but I'm not saying that the crossover frequencies overlap, I'm saying that the damned thing is just too powerful for its own good. :-D I'm even thinking about selling the amp and getting a smaller one.

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32
    I already adjusted the crossover cutoff. It might be a touch high, but I'm not saying that the crossover frequencies overlap, I'm saying that the damned thing is just too powerful for its own good. :-D I'm even thinking about selling the amp and getting a smaller one.

-Andy
    The bazooka is all I need

It's on a quick connect so I can still loadup the touring; it's self amplified, though they sell a smaller one that requires an amp. It gives me all the bass phil lesh needs to let me know he's turned up. It's also cheap, and allows you to get an eq

The eq give's the sub woofer it's own pot, has an aux input for ipod and xm additions and gives me greater control over the 8 speakers.

Seriously, unless you love rap, or go to parking-lot-stereo blast-off's where everybody's trunk is open to ogle their stereo's, there's just no need for a huge sub system.

my $.02

Default what brand of subs are in your cars?

as their efficiencies as ohm and wattage requirements may differ.
    can you hook up just one 12"? try that and adjust the crossover freq as previously suggested; before spending any money on amps.

size of the subs will influence the quality of sound. smaller subs generally produce tighter bass. larger subs are suited for the thumping, resonating pulses... the enclosures can effect the quality, too.

Default I have an Infinisty Basslink and I'm Impressed everytime

it is an self amplified 10" that takes up only 1 cubic foot of trunk space, its tight and not overpowering and has a remote that i wired up next to the foglight switch. It looks stock and allows you to turn it up to levels that you can feel. It fires though a cut out behind the armrest. I got it for 269 bucks if i recall correctly. It was the cheapest, smallest, most convienient (its easily removed) way for me to get nice bass in my car.

I saw those pre-loaded tube subs... I've actually built and installed a number of subs. In my first car, an 8" driver in an old studio speaker cabinet did the trick very nicely.

The current setup with a nice box (sealed enclosure, carpeted, matches trunk carpeting well enough) cost me a grand total of about $320.

I don't like rap, and I don't sit in parking lots competing bass. In fact, I'm embarrassed if anyone outside the car notices the bass... it's not the image I like to project.

Oh - and the 12s are Bazookas. The amp is Coustic carbon fiber.

how do you deal with the fact that there is no pass thru to the cabin for bass? I am having to cut holes in the Panel behind rear seat to allow bass to pass from trunk to cabin -- JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast