GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Update on diffswap/bilstein shocks/trailing arm bushings install w/ some pics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Update on diffswap/bilstein shocks/trailing arm bushings install w/ some pics

So for the last few days, I've been slowly going through attempt number 2 of the rear end rebuild. I needed to swap out the trailing arm bushings, but since I've got to pull the shocks out and the CVaxles, I decided to swap out the diff (which I tried and failed a week or so ago) and put some bilstein tourings in at the same time.

So since I only get to work on this project about 2 hours every couple of days, its been rather slow going, but I finally got some documentable progress, so I snapped a few pics.

I was not able to get the last hex head bolt out of the diff by the method that Bill suggested with Vice grips. I had to resort to cutting the head off with my dremel tool. It SUCKED, hardcore. It took forever. Anyway, its out. If you're going to pull these bolts, please, use some PB blaster and make sure the wrench is in there good, don't strip them.

My better fortune was that the shocks popped out with VERY little force. I had read all kinds of horror stores of getting the shock end out of the hub.

I now have only 3 tasks remaining before I can get the arms out of the car. The bolts are already all removed, I still have 3 things attaching the arm to the car.

1- Brake line - What is the best way to keep the line from leaking all of the fluid out over the next week or so while the arms are having the bushings pressed?
    2- Any tips on getting the parking brake cables out? I can't see intuitively how to remove them, I'll have to check out the Bentley tomorrow.
    3 - Easiest way to remove the speed sensor? Do I have to remove the sensor and let it dangle, or is there a way to disconnect it that might be easier?

Once I get those 3 things taken care of, I can get the arms out and taken to the shop. While the arms are at the shop, I can drop the diff and pull the shocks (from the top) and put the new bilsteins in and the new LSD in.

Oh, yeah, and I get to put THESE on. Just got them back from Costco - manager was totally cool about it. Since the only thing people on message boards care about are pics and DIYs, I threw some more pics in below.

Last edited by DanDombrowski; 02-12-2007 at 10:16 PM.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC