GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Im stumped!!

Default Im stumped!!

So today I changed out my clutch along with a new throw out bearing. My car was making a whining noise when the clutch pedal is out. When you push the pedal in it goes away. I was hoping that is was the throw out bearing but now it still makes the noise. Like a dummy I didn't change the pilot bearing. Could that possibly be the pilot bearing? I noticed that it particularily makes the noise when driving in 1-3rd gear. You dont notice the noise in 4-5th gear. Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by brianwolf3
    So today I changed out my clutch along with a new throw out bearing. My car was making a whining noise when the clutch pedal is out. When you push the pedal in it goes away. I was hoping that is was the throw out bearing but now it still makes the noise. Like a dummy I didn't change the pilot bearing. Could that possibly be the pilot bearing? I noticed that it particularily makes the noise when driving in 1-3rd gear. You dont notice the noise in 4-5th gear. Any help would be great.
    Possible noisey input shaft bearing in the trans. With the clutch pedal in the up position, the input shaft turns at the same speed a the flywheel (meaning the input shaft is sitting still in relation to the pilot bearing).

I blew up an input shaft bearing in an old Mustang by jerking second gear to make the tires chirp. Ahhh, the brainlessness of my youth.

Im hoping that it wasn't going to be that. I dont know how hard that is to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsell
    Possible noisey input shaft bearing in the trans. With the clutch pedal in the up position, the input shaft turns at the same speed a the flywheel (meaning the input shaft is sitting still in relation to the pilot bearing).

I blew up an input shaft bearing in an old Mustang by jerking second gear to make the tires chirp. Ahhh, the brainlessness of my youth.

The pilot bearing would only make noise when the clutch is disengaged, when engaged everything is turning together.
    Have a look at the gear oil for evidence of things going south internally. Perhaps fresh oil will improve things.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by brianwolf3
    Im hoping that it wasn't going to be that. I dont know how hard that is to change.
    On the old Mustang II tranny, I had to pull the input shaft out of the trans, heat the bearing with a torch to spring it free of the shaft, then press the new bearing on. I have no experience with the BMW trannys so I can't help...

I figure a large transmission shop should be able to do your rig, if they do much import work that is...

Quote Originally Posted by bsell

Is this the same as the thrust bearing?