GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new to me, 540i for $1800

Default My new to me, 540i for $1800

I bought this car last Sunday for $1800. The sale price was $5000 and was dropped to $3500. I went to see the car the day before & it drove great but after looking under the hood decided I didn't want another project car,but I couldn't sleep good that night.
    I called the owner & told them I would pay $1800 if they "had" to get rid of the car quickly & couldn't find a buyer.
    They called me back 10 mins later & accepted the $1800 bid.
    I went back with a mechanic and he stated that if I didn't buy the car he would so I snatched it.
    I've driven it for almost a week and there are no serious issues at all.
    It has 176,000 miles but the engine purrs and you can hardly feel the transmission changing gears.
    It ends up most of the work involves changing out the power steering hoses and cleaning up the engine bay which I've already done.
    I also found a very small leak at the bottom left corner of the radiator,but the radiator appears brand new and I'm thinking it's a repairable seal in the radiator. I'll probably just get a new one.
    The drivers headrest makes noise but doesn't move,same with the drivers window which I suspect is a nylon clip.Broken tilt cable on the drivers seat too so I found a seat ($75) which I will be buying tomorrow.
    I found the complete front bumper w/foglights for $75 and that will go on this weekend after getting it painted.
    The srs airbag cover on the dash is warped and will not settle in place as the corners are sticking up and makes the whole dash look lousy.
    I am semi-familiar with this car as my daughter owned a 735iL and after owning e21's e23's e28's & e32's I have to say that this is one of the finest cars I ever drove!
    I am in love with this beast and it is competing heavily with my e28 for my affection. I've decided to make it my daily driver because I feel it's a little safer than my e28,plus I couldn't bear the e28 getting damaged after all the work I put into it,but I was bumped in traffic in that car 4 times in 4 months.I was standing still in traffic.
    I was lacking an engine cover, which I just bought but I do need the other 2 valve covers that say BMW on them so if anyone has any for sale,please let me know.
    Here's some photos,I have a lot to do but I'm going to enjoy it:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/100_0160.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/100_0159.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/100_0157.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/100_0155.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/100_0151.jpg
    Here is why I said no to the car,but it cleaned up beautifully:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...n/100_0120.jpg
    Notice the oil on the air filter box near the oil cap. I lose almost no oil but I still have to deal with this little leak that seems to be sprayed onto the airbox.
    I will have a Bently within days but do have the pdf Bentlys to lean on.
    I am open to suggestions and advice so please feel free to fire away.
    Sorry for the long post.
    BTW it's a 94" with auto/manual
    Thank you for your time.
    Fred/Houston

TC535i Guest

Hey Fred... I also need an engine cover (altho I have the two valve covers).

Do you know if one off an E32 740 will work?

I think you got your self a pretty good deal!! I purchased my 1989 525i, and one of the first things to change on it was the power steering hoses and that seemed to clean up alot of the "oil" in the engine bay!

A lot can be overlooked for the price. Hopefully the oil coming out around the filler isn't a blowby problem.
    Grande heuvos for offering 1800 on an overly optimistic 5000 ask. Kudos
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I'm not sure if the one for the 740i is the same, but I bought mine at Strictly-German (706-654-9103)for $50 but I know they had another one in stock for the 540i a when I bought mine days ago. If I come across the engine cover while searching for the valve covers I will definatly let you know.
    Good luck
    Fred/Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    A lot can be overlooked for the price. Hopefully the oil coming out around the filler isn't a blowby problem.
    Grande heuvos for offering 1800 on an overly optimistic 5000 ask. Kudos
    To be honest, I bought it from a 19 yr old girl living in Ca., she had a new car and the 540i was parked in front of her dads house for a year. I have a 21 yr old daughter and this young girl was the sweetest kid and reminded me so much of my daughter.
    I was sincerely trying to help her if she got stuck with the car and I was going to re-sell it for the same price just to get her out of her jam. I honestly didn't intend to keep the car...for real.
    Now I am feeling really guilty so I decided to send $100 to her favorite restaurant as a thank you.
    For what I paid I have no complaints about spending money to make this car right.
    Fred/Houston

I will be happy to help you relieve your conscience by buying it for the price paid. In fact I'll be in Houston in three weeks, if thats where you be.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Cupholders too, I am so jealous... Awesome car - great color combo.
    May the Schwarz be with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    I will be happy to help you relieve your conscience by buying it for the price paid. In fact I'll be in Houston in three weeks, if thats where you be.
    Ross, maybe we can do lunch? Please leave your checkbook at home.
    ))
    Fred/Houston

it will work, they are held down with the same shitty bolt on things that break off, the e38s are different but could probably be made to work with the much better toolless hold downs and maybe a little trimming on the back to clear the coolant tank

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Hey Fred... I also need an engine cover (altho I have the two valve covers).

Do you know if one off an E32 740 will work?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast