GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warning chime

so the lights are supposed to stay on with the key out of the ignition??? mine only work on position 2. only the city lights and rear red lights stay on. is this an euro-feature or something? oh, and i don't have a gong. not sure if i want in anyway.

oh, i just remembered. this is realy strange. on my oil pan where the oil level sensor is supposed to be there is an aluminium cap oper the hole , with a bmw marking on it. i check my oil frequently , a habbit i picked up when i was burnin' it before my bottom-end rebuild, but this no oil level sensor **** is realy strange. only oil sensor is where the hoses go in the block (right side) but i knew that one was pressure.

opinions?

i get no chime at all. looks like a need a new door gong. any ideas how much? i thought this car was too quiet since my last 2 bmws have had chimes with the key on and door open

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    i get no chime at all. looks like a need a new door gong. any ideas how much? i thought this car was too quiet since my last 2 bmws have had chimes with the key on and door open
    since I don't know the particulars for your car, I can't direct you to the exact diagram on www.realoem.com ...but here's the link to the gong for my car (95 525iT) which is probably the same for your car: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...62&fg=40&hl=20

The rarity of an 80 ohm speaker is gonna run the cost up!
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by skr
    so the lights are supposed to stay on with the key out of the ignition??? mine only work on position 2.
    No...the headlights do not illuminate when the ignition is off. Don't know if its a Euro thing or not...but every BMW I've owned has had this same feature.

I suppose it functions as a means to reduce draining the battery in the event the driver leaves the lights on after failing to heed to the LIGHTS ON warning from the Check Control System.

And neither do the brake lights illuminate when the ignition is off.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by skr
    so the lights are supposed to stay on with the key out of the ignition??? mine only work on position 2. only the city lights and rear red lights stay on. is this an euro-feature or something?
    When I have my headlights on and/or fog lights, these lights will turn off when you have the ignition at any other position than 2. So your lights are working properly -- parkers will stay on even with the key out of the ignition.

i see. i got confused by vanguard's first post, thought he was refering to headlights. BTW i once forgot them lights on for about 8 hours, got in and it started right up. 100 amps come in handy...

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    And neither do the brake lights illuminate when the ignition is off.

which is handy if you happen to keep hitting them constantly while perhaps laid down in the seat
    89 Mazda MX-6 GT :: 78 Suzuki GS550E :: 90 BMW 535i/5 :: 02 BMW 330i :: 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport

i opened the cover of the chime today and found it was properly connected. but it's not chiming. so probably it's broken or sth, i'll have it inspected tomorrow.

Since it is only two wires , try a positive/negative test.
    Do you have a cheapo charger?
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

Mine doesnt gong or warn you on the dash, and I know the unit is working because it's constantly having a go at me on startup about a failed brake light.

(The light works)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast