GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: camshaft lock tool

Default camshaft lock tool

anyone know where i can buy a cheap one or where to borrow/rent one? i need to do the head on my m50 and snapon wants almost 700 dollars for it.

Here is what you do:
    1. Go to CatalystRacing.net and buy it for like 45 shipped. Its probably just as good as the snap on one. You want to skip the ebay ones - don't ask how.

2. You will also need a special head bolt tool, regular tools don't work. Where are you located?
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

If you choose to get one (you could always use the straight edge) I second the catalyst racing. I ordered from them in Canada and they were very cheap and great to deal with (Colorado I believe).

Anton, are you referring to the Torx internal socket heads for the main head bolts and those at the timing case? I found a regular sized Txx fit the main ones fine, but I had to grind down one of the smaller Txx to fit in a deeper recessed hole at the primary timing case (usually filled with oil and hard to spot the first time).

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default John, I have one that I can rent to you for $5 plus shipping both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    anyone know where i can buy a cheap one or where to borrow/rent one? i need to do the head on my m50 and snapon wants almost 700 dollars for it.
    Your total investment will be about $15. It's currently on loan to a fellow 318is owner, but I should have it back in a week or so. It is the catalyst racing version.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Anton, are you referring to the Torx internal socket heads for the main head bolts and those at the timing case? I found a regular sized Txx fit the main ones fine, but I had to grind down one of the smaller Txx to fit in a deeper recessed hole at the primary timing case (usually filled with oil and hard to spot the first time).

Dave
    Yup, I am talking about the main head bolts. They clamp the head to to the block. I didn't feel comfortable grinding down a tool that is going to be used to tighten head bolts to 80 ft-lbs or so - it may give improper readings when it bends.

On the KA24 motors you need to remove the cams before you can get to the head bolts. In that respect the m50 is nice.
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

I was told to get a hold of George Bregar on Bimmerforums to rent out everything i would need but for some reason no one has heard of him.

I would just prefer the tools since this is my first time and I am not great at fixing things, I do have my dad though.

What other special tools will I be needing? Don't I need to lock the crank too? We are located in San Diego, CA

Bill- I will let you know, if we end up buying I will probably just get the camlock too otherwise I will send you a pm. (I also have an e30, its a 89 325i fun cars to play with.)
    Last edited by JohnC; 02-13-2007 at 06:47 PM.