GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Timing M50

Default Timing M50

I am going to be timing my M50 after having the head off and had a question about timing it. According to my Bentley manual it appears that to time it all I have to do is make sure that tool 11 2 300 (pin) is in bell housing, mark on timing chain cover is in line with mark on harmonic balancer, and that cams are aligned with use of tool 11 3 240 (brace). Is that it or am I missing something? It seems too simple or not precise enough. Any advice would be great.

You are correct about the cam and bottom end timing. However, you don't really need to bother with a flywheel lock if you're carefull with the timing mark on the harmonic and timing cover.

The trick (for me at least) is the primary sprocket hole alignment. Difficult to explain, so check out thisold post, specifically the second photo in post #3 and the associated text.

Let us know if you have specific questions. Pics ALWAYS help.

Good Luck,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

OK, just looked at the photo of the sprocket and need to add something important.

The timing in the pic is OFF by ONE tooth. The sprocket needs to be turned one tooth counter-clockwise. Bentley states to place the sprocket one so the threaded hole in the cam end sits on the left side of the slot in the sprocket. I have it too fer left in the photo.

Long winded, but dodn't want you going down the same road.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Thanks, one question

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    OK, just looked at the photo of the sprocket and need to add something important.

The timing in the pic is OFF by ONE tooth. The sprocket needs to be turned one tooth counter-clockwise. Bentley states to place the sprocket one so the threaded hole in the cam end sits on the left side of the slot in the sprocket. I have it too fer left in the photo.

Long winded, but dodn't want you going down the same road.

Dave
    Only one photo was on the post you sent me... the manual says to place the main sprocket all the way left which it looks like the picture you sent me shows. However your quote says it is one tooth off. So just to clarify. should it be all the way left or one tooth counter-clockwise of all the way left? Thanks again.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by bummininca
    Only one photo was on the post you sent me... the manual says to place the main sprocket all the way left which it looks like the picture you sent me shows. However your quote says it is one tooth off. So just to clarify. should it be all the way left or one tooth counter-clockwise of all the way left? Thanks again.

Kevin
    Funny about the post link, there should be plently of pics.

Does the manual say all the way to the left? I don't feel like going out to the garage, but i recall something to the effect of "the left side of the slot". I am quite sure that the photo shows it 1 tooth off. Keep in mind that the primary chain tensioner will pull the sprocket counter clockwise, so without the tensioner installed the slot will be further to the left. Set it up so that the hole is at the left side of the slot with the tensioner in. I may have been a little over-zealous with my leftness

Another tip is to get that arrow on the sprocket pointing straight up (should have mentioned this). As I had my engine on an engine stand, i was guessing at the correct angle that it sits in the engine bay. Its easier to nail with it in the car.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 02-07-2007 at 09:28 PM.

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Funny about the post link, there should be plently of pics.

Does the manual say all the way to the left? I don't feel like going out to the garage, but i recall something to the effect of "the left side of the slot". I am quite sure that the photo shows it 1 tooth off. Keep in mind that the primary chain tensioner will pull the sprocket counter clockwise, so without the tensioner installed the slot will be further to the left. Set it up so that the hole is at the left side of the slot with the tensioner in. I may have been a little over-zealous with my leftness

Another tip is to get that arrow on the sprocket pointing straight up (should have mentioned this). As I had my engine on an engine stand, i was guessing at the correct angle that it sits in the engine bay. Its easier to nail with it in the car.

Dave
    Thanks again Dave. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to the working part of this problem but I will update you if you are interested once I know the result.

Your pic/post link was fine, I wrote too soon. My mistake. Thanks again.

Kevin