GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 / re: o-ring on radiator (searched forum already) ;)

Default M50 / re: o-ring on radiator (searched forum already) ;)

Ive been on this site awhile and I think Ive read every thread concerning this topic, so any more feedback would be appreciated.

12/05: rad neck broke, replaced it with Nissin rad.

1/07: 13 months, 7k miles later, leaking again from where expansion tank meets the raditor (seems to be a common problem with these rads). Put in new O-ring, still leaking. Buy another Nissin rad and new rad is still leaking -from same area. Take out expansion tank and try to carefully seat it and seal it with a little silicone....not as bad, but still leaking.

2/07: been topping off my rad every couple of days. Im waiting to hear back from the supplier of the rad now to see what they plan on doing. Ive seen some positive feedback on the NIssin so Im not gonna badmouth it yet and go out and get a Behr, but does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
    Last edited by jaz525i; 02-07-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    1993 525i 151k miles

Are you sure it is the radiator or the o-ring leaking? The tank itself could have cracked. Mine just developed the same damn leak and I am just going to replace both the tank and the ring...

Car Info is HERE

Quote Originally Posted by shrike071
    Are you sure it is the radiator or the o-ring leaking? The tank itself could have cracked. Mine just developed the same damn leak and I am just going to replace both the tank and the ring...
    Mechanic pressure tested it.
    1993 525i 151k miles

Quote Originally Posted by jaz525i
    Mechanic pressure tested it.
    I'll ask the question,

Did the radiator cap get tested and or replaced?

If the cap is overpressuring the system, it could be ruining the new radiators. Especially if you have combustion gases getting into the coolant system due to a bad head/gasket and bad radiator cap.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bsell
    I'll ask the question,

Did the radiator cap get tested and or replaced?

If the cap is overpressuring the system, it could be ruining the new radiators. Especially if you have combustion gases getting into the coolant system due to a bad head/gasket and bad radiator cap.

Brian
    I hear ya but even if the radiator was not even in there for a day? While its running you can see the juice trickling out from where the plastic tank meets the rad.
    1993 525i 151k miles

I hear ya but even if the radiator was not even in there for a day? While its running you can see the juice trickling out from where the plastic tank meets the rad.
    Well, technically, yes. A real bad cap could overpressurize a new rad and cause it to leak. Not real likely, but seeing as you've been through the ringer already, it might be a cheap piece of insurance.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Had the same problem a month ago ended replacing the whole radiator, got the behr brand. When I got the new rad still had the leak at the same spot, got also a new cap still had the leak. Took a piece of wood and a rubber mallet, placed the wood on top of the expansion tank and hammered it enough just to tighten/lock it underneath on the radiator and the leak is gone. It might work..got mine fixed.

Default Same Problem

I had the same problem with mine several years ago. I bought the o-ring, bought a new reserviour tank. I finally ended up buying a new radiator. Welcome to the shitty heating and cooling system on these cars.

Ive been on this site awhile and I think Ive read every thread concerning this topic, so any more feedback would be appreciated.

12/05: rad neck broke, replaced it with Nissin rad.

1/07: 13 months, 7k miles later, leaking again from where expansion tank meets the raditor (seems to be a common problem with these rads). Put in new O-ring, still leaking. Buy another Nissin rad and new rad is still leaking -from same area. Take out expansion tank and try to carefully seat it and seal it with a little silicone....not as bad, but still leaking.

2/07: been topping off my rad every couple of days. Im waiting to hear back from the supplier of the rad now to see what they plan on doing. Ive seen some positive feedback on the NIssin so Im not gonna badmouth it yet and go out and get a Behr, but does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks