GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sloppy steering wheel…

Default Sloppy steering wheel…

I noticed more of sloppy steering response recently (that 1inch loose turn in steering wheel). Maybe I noticed it more because I’ve been driving my M3 which has very tight and precise steering response. I believe this is known problem with E34 that was discussed but couldn't find any solution to fix the problem from the old threads. Is there anything I could do to tighten up the steering slop?
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

There's a big nut at the base of the steering column. Tighten it until the telescoping wheel just stops telescoping, then loosen it just enough so the telescoping works again. At that point, you'll have taken the slop out of the column. If there's still slop, it's probably in the steering box or steering linkage.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

my slop is around 6", so dont feel so bad
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    There's a big nut at the base of the steering column. Tighten it until the telescoping wheel just stops telescoping, then loosen it just enough so the telescoping works again. At that point, you'll have taken the slop out of the column. If there's still slop, it's probably in the steering box or steering linkage.
    Easy to check without going to all that trouble: just turn the wheel while looking at the steering box. If the flexible joint moves nicely with the steeringwheel and the steering 'pitman arm' coming out of the steering box doesn't the box is the problem (or the pitman arm).
    Those steering boxes are hideously expensive IMO I'm wondering if anyone here ever had it replaced with a rebuilt unit and how much it cost?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

There's no need to live with slop in the steering as both the column & the box are adjustable. There is a good write up on removing slop from the steering box here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...eering_box.htm
    Lots of info on doing the column adjustment here in the archives.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

6, (SIX) inches!!? I know some guys underestimate what six inches actually is but are you sure there is really that much slop??
    If so get that **** box off the road!
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    There's no need to live with slop in the steering as both the column & the box are adjustable. There is a good write up on removing slop from the steering box here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...eering_box.htm
    Lots of info on doing the column adjustment here in the archives.
    I'm reading some contradicting info on this adjustment thing. The only thing I find to be the same with every comment on it is that no-one knows what it actually adjusts within the box. Is it the wormgear-cylinder clearance? The cylinder-pinion clearance? The tightness of the joint with the pitman arm?
    And why does this adjustment lead to stiffer stearing?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Thanks for the info. guys... The slop isn't that bad so I could live with it. I don't really noticed it that much unless I drive the M3 first and then this car...
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

I would recommend tightening that nut. It makes a big difference. My car only had around 85000 kms on it when I did it. I thouht it was fine but after reading a post here I figured what the hell and tightened it It made a very noticable difference and it only took about 10 or 15 minutes.