GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: HideWindow detected....

Default OT: HideWindow detected....

by my latest Stinger scan. Did a search and found HideWindow 1.43 on my computer. Read a bit about it on the web and still not sure if this is a trojan and if there is a safe method of removing it. Any computer literate guys out there have a suggestion? Should I remove this ASAP? My sense is this is not a good thing to have and may have been attached to a corrupted freeware file I downloaded which I understand is getting more common...so check your systems if you are interested...you may have it as well. I have just basic freeware on my machine and nothing fancy.
    Thanks for any advice,
    George

George,
    Try Adaware and Spybot to get rid of any spyware programs that can hijack PC's I will send you my link to Mcafee for the virus deal and the other programs you may not have if you like. Freeware sometimes does a job on things and you might not even know until you find one thing awry.
    Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks Jeff. Have responded to your e-mail. This board is replete with computer literate members. Anybody know an effective method to remove Hidewindow from an XP OS?
    Thanks,
    George

Default George, I'm the last guy to talk to about computers but this

manual removal didn't sound too tough me ... here

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    by my latest Stinger scan. Did a search and found HideWindow 1.43 on my computer. Read a bit about it on the web and still not sure if this is a trojan and if there is a safe method of removing it. Any computer literate guys out there have a suggestion? Should I remove this ASAP? My sense is this is not a good thing to have and may have been attached to a corrupted freeware file I downloaded which I understand is getting more common...so check your systems if you are interested...you may have it as well. I have just basic freeware on my machine and nothing fancy.
    Thanks for any advice,
    George

Thank you Bill. Saw that on the web as well. Will give that a go.
    Appreciate it.
    George

You can also go back to a previous restore point to get rid of this. More @#$@#$@# malware.

Thanks for that tip Rick. Per the site's recommendation, I am establishing a latest restore point prior to proceeding with the Hidewindow removal process as I would like to preserve some of my latest computer files.
    George

I'd also run a virus scan after you restore to make sure it's ok. I've also turned off system restore after cleaning up a system, rebooting, then turning them back on. By getting rid of the old restore points you can get rid of any issues that might be floating around them.

Thanks Rick...will do.
    Geo

Success. Finally able to purge the pesky Hidewindow without detriment to my system.
    Bill, the utility recommendations per the site you referenced didn't agree with the particular files I needed to remove however Jeff a.k.a. Regal 632 put me in touch with McAfee's VirusScan program which worked like a charm...a very powerful anti-virus software that eclipses McAfee Stinger which only generically identified that I had Hidewindw, not specifically which files were infected and the ability to delete them. Heeded your suggestion Rick and performed a restart and re-ran both VirusScan and Stinger and clean as a whistle.
    Special thanks to Jeff for directing me to this program and to all that helped. I can help anybody else with this pest.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast