GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Hartge dyno results, done a dyno test today on the e34 535i

Default Hartge dyno results, done a dyno test today on the e34 535i

did a dyno run on my 1990 535i , that i have recently fitted a semi rebuilt hartge engine in .
    i built this engine up with a hartge tunned head ( bigger valves and porting) head is dated back to 1984 came from a 87/88 635i from japan .
    i used block from a approx 89 535i or 735i , fitted 10:1 cr pistons from e23 86 735i , had new riings and bearings fitted , valave grind , both head head and block where skimmed .new chains and sprockets etc .
    fitted it along with a 5 speed manual box into this 90 535ia 3.45 diff.
    was a bit disapointed with the proformance when i got it all going , found a bit more power after changing fuel filter and also swapping ecu from a motronic 1.3(original one in car) for a modified 1.1 from a 87 735 e32, seamed a little better , still enquiring with enginer and parts people why is seams ro be down on power , decided to reset tappets a little loser after doing compression test and only coming up to 150psi ( should be 180+) .also rechecking cam timming noticed it looked at by one tooth , reset to true .
    and all seams to be good now .
    dyno results show 4 different ecu's we tried , first run was the lowest with the modified unit from a e32 735i about 126kw at the wheels ,
    then nest run with the original ecu that came with hartge engine came up to 132.9kw then 2 more goes with std 1.3 motronic ecu and 1.1 motronic ecu both better than the 735i one but not as high as the orginal one .
    a friend of mine had his 86 M535i 5psd 3.07diff ,there on friday came up as 123kw (shrick cam and e34 head ) and another guy there witha 90 535is had 112kw (map sensor afm fited).
    gavin who owns the place use to have a alpina B10 e34 that did 141kw , and also ahas a e30 335ia with fully worked engine with auto and 4.11 diff doing 158kw .

he said we could tune the ecu a little more to get the power to carry on andn maybe even up a little .
    still have std exhaust and intake system ,

first pic is a few of the runs with different ecu's
    second pic is the power and the torque
    third pic is the fuel and power curves

132.9kw equals about 181hp at the wheels , add about 25% for flywheel rating 226hp .
    std e34 is 211hp 305Nm std e28 is 218hp 310Nm .
    mine was about 325Nm pretty flat
    full hartge spec engine about 240Hp and alpina about 250hp

hope you can see these pics this time
    Last edited by Brent in NZ hartge 535i; 02-06-2007 at 05:43 AM.

Ouch.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

what rpms you running? I couldnt log in and dont have time to register right now.

Maybe the valves are too large for the cam/rpm/rear gear combination?

Are you able to check EGT on each cylinder?

too much/not enough back pressure?

Plug gap too wide blowing the spark out?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    That's pretty good - what's been done to your engine? The
    That jump/discontinuity is from a shift? I assume it put you in a different gear and the machine didn't know, so should everything after that jump be shifted down to be continuous with the first part? Can I do a whole post with only questions?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

That run was in 3rd gear the 1:1 ratio. No change of gears there. Stock engine with eat chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    That's pretty good - what's been done to your engine? The
    That jump/discontinuity is from a shift? I assume it put you in a different gear and the machine didn't know, so should everything after that jump be shifted down to be continuous with the first part? Can I do a whole post with only questions?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    That run was in 3rd gear the 1:1 ratio. No change of gears there. Stock engine with eat chip.
    Stock + eat... impressive!

That jump is still suspicious, like the units were changed or some factor changed value at 5100 RPM. Looks like the same thing happened in all three pulls, so I would bet the dyno had something weird happen at that point. Interesting. You didn't feel a jerk at that point?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Stock + eat... impressive!

That jump is still suspicious, like the units were changed or some factor changed value at 5100 RPM. Looks like the same thing happened in all three pulls, so I would bet the dyno had something weird happen at that point. Interesting. You didn't feel a jerk at that point?
    Torque converter lockup maybe?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    what rpms you running? I couldnt log in and dont have time to register right now.

hope you can see the pics now .......

Maybe the valves are too large for the cam/rpm/rear gear combination?
    i think valves are same as e34 or maybe 1mm bigger , but they are bigger than stock e28 ones ...

Are you able to check EGT on each cylinder? whats that . havn't done another compression check since i adjusted the cam timming to correct postion .

too much/not enough back pressure?
    std exhaust . slieight leak at manifold join to pipes

Plug gap too wide blowing the spark out?
    std gap on ngk plugs ...

Last edited by Brent in NZ hartge 535i; 02-06-2007 at 06:14 AM.