GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone know where to find the ellipsoid cutoff mod for e34/e32 WITH PICS?

Default Anyone know where to find the ellipsoid cutoff mod for e34/e32 WITH PICS?

I recall seeing a post 'somewhere' with photos of the procedure, where to cut the shield etc. I have searched here and checked out the last ppost with a link to bimmerboard. I don't have all day to spend searching so I hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Am I dreaming?

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

there's a thread on page 2 of this forum, don't know if that's of any help to you

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    there's a thread on page 2 of this forum, don't know if that's of any help to you
    Yeah, I read through the majority of that along with the link to bimmerforums. I do remember another post or website with a fairly detailed description of how to modify the 'shield' to provide a different/better pattern.

I have a spare set of US ellipsoids I would like to try this on.

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

can't say that i've seen it anywhere, it's not something we can do here in the u.k. because it's an instant m.o.t. failiure

I think I'd have to strap 4 more lights to the roof, then drive backward past the over 50 center without an exhaust to illicit such a 'failure'.

As soon as you own a car here, you can do pretty much whatever you like (within reason) without much problem. Not saying its appropriate for everyone, but it sure saves some grey hair not having to go through emissions testing and periodic safety checks etc.

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

So what exactly is the benefit of the ellipsoid low beams? It's pretty obvious the light output sucks, even with a bulb upgrade. No inspections here in CT. anymore but we do have emission testing for cars.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    So what exactly is the benefit of the ellipsoid low beams? It's pretty obvious the light output sucks, even with a bulb upgrade. No inspections here in CT. anymore but we do have emission testing for cars.
    Checked your profile, and from what I can gather you may have two e34s with ellipsoids (the 95 touring and 90 535). There was a break aroud 91 where NA got anal about lighting and decidied to limit us to some crappy lights

This is a pic of the "freeform lights on my 10/90 build date 91 525im. THESE THINGS SUCK THE WINGER REALLY BAD.

Even regular old US ellipsoids should put out a lot more heat that those ones. I'm hoping for a vast improvement with the HID.

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Yes, both my E34s have the ellipsoid low beams & they both suck in my opinion. Hard to believe yours could be worse unless your fog lights are brighter. I've upgraded the bulbs in both but the improvement is marginal.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    Yes, both my E34s have the ellipsoid low beams & they both suck in my opinion. Hard to believe yours could be worse unless your fog lights are brighter. I've upgraded the bulbs in both but the improvement is marginal.
    Believe it or not, mine are worse. With regard to the fogs, they went bust looooong ago (see pic)

Looking forward to better lighting. I just spent an hour tonight cleening a set of ellipsoids for HID addition.

In the dark,

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *