GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ride height difference at rear wheels

Default Ride height difference at rear wheels

Hi guys,

I was giving my rear brakes and handbrake a quick maintenance clean-up over the weekend when I noticed that the ride heights at the rear wheels of my car are different. On the drivers side it measures 34cm from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch whereas the passenger side is 35.5cm, a difference of 1.5cm. Both tyres have approximately the same tread depth, so does this indicate a possible problem with the shocks or bushes? Is this difference something I should be concerned about with regard to road safety and handling?

Incidently, what should the normal height be for a 525?

I'd appreciate your views.
    Cheers in advance,

Mas

95-525i manual rhd black

Confucius says, "War does not determine who's right. War determine who's left"

Mine sags a little on the driver's side as well. I haven't measured it, but it's pretty obvious visually. Maybe I'm fatter than I thought?

I'm hoping it's a sagging spring. Have you replaced yours?

Default Apart from the brakes and tyres ...

I haven't really touched anything else at the rear. I did replace the shocks at the front last year just after reaching 100' miles, so I just thought maybe the rear shocks could be on the way out now. Is a sagging spring common? How can you tell (measure) if it's sagging anyway?

Cheers,

Mas

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    Mine sags a little on the driver's side as well. I haven't measured it, but it's pretty obvious visually. Maybe I'm fatter than I thought?

I'm hoping it's a sagging spring. Have you replaced yours?

95-525i manual rhd black

Confucius says, "War does not determine who's right. War determine who's left"

Well, sometimes as coil springs age they sag a bit. I wouldn't really think our cars would be old enough yet for it to be much of an issue, but I suppose it's possible. As for measuring it, I'm not sure. Easiest way might be to swap the springs from side to side and see if it sags on the passenger side then.

mine does the same thing, driver's side rear sags a bit, it makes the car look old, I was planning on installing 2 new rear springs. I assume it is the spring causing this if anyone else doesn't say different - that's what determines ride hight right?

535 Turbo Guest

Changed all 4 springs and shocks last year on my 535. Makes no difference, drivers side is still lower. Had Mtech blue springs, now higher black ones.

JV

Went through this with my RX-7s too. I never tried to fix it, but it's a common issue that people say springs don't always fix. Some theorized metal fatigue in the body structure, but that seems unlikely on our cars.

I wonder about subframe bushings? Anybody try that?