GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1995 525 Trans Program Question

Default 1995 525 Trans Program Question

Last week I was stopped at a red light and started to go up a hill in which the car got to about 35 mph and then the rpm's started go up with no power. It felt like the car went into limp mode (3rd gear) and did not switch gears again. The trans program came up on the computer and I nursed it home and parked it. The next day I went to move the car from the garage and moved it about 600 feet. That morning it started in 1st gear and and I never drove it hard enough to shift. The trans program indicator never came on. Is it possible that I just need to change the transmission fluid? I bought the car at 115,000 miles and have no idea if the fluid has been changed. I presume that it hasn't. I have never changed it. Could low or bad fluid be the cause? I was hoping to change the fluid this weekend and was hoping that it was not something more serious.

change it now.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default Search the archives and www.bmwe34.net for answers....

....including multiple responses from me.
    Rob sends.....

Quote Originally Posted by tclucas
    Last week I was stopped at a red light and started to go up a hill in which the car got to about 35 mph and then the rpm's started go up with no power. It felt like the car went into limp mode (3rd gear) and did not switch gears again. The trans program came up on the computer and I nursed it home and parked it. The next day I went to move the car from the garage and moved it about 600 feet. That morning it started in 1st gear and and I never drove it hard enough to shift. The trans program indicator never came on. Is it possible that I just need to change the transmission fluid? I bought the car at 115,000 miles and have no idea if the fluid has been changed. I presume that it hasn't. I have never changed it. Could low or bad fluid be the cause? I was hoping to change the fluid this weekend and was hoping that it was not something more serious.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Thanks Rob for your help I have tried to do my research and I have noticed that you are one that know's what you are talking about. Just as a follow up question... How much of the Dexron III should I buy to do a fluid change????

buy a case worth, return what you dont need.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue