GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on o2-sensor Change

Default Update on o2-sensor Change

I had to cave in and drop the exhaust. I borrowed a lift at a friend's shop, swapped the sensor, fired up the car and the check engine light was still on. I hadn't disconnected the battery yet so I figure I'll do it when I get home. Halfway home (about 5 miles into a 10 mile trip) the engine gets up to operating temperature and suddenly the light turns off. I can feel the idle issues disappear at short stops and stop signs, and the acceleration even get better. About a block from my house, I'm sitting at a red light for what seemed like forever, and out of the blue, the motor bucks and the idle bogs down like it used to do, and the check engine light comes back on. It's back to its retarded acceleration too. As I pull into the driveway, the light turned off again and idle went back to nice and smooth, aka normal.

Disconnected the battery for over 2 hours, put it back on, started the car, no light, smooth idle, good drivability again.

First red light I get stuck at for more than 2 minutes, bang.. bog down for a second, idle b/s again, check engine light back on. I pull over and stomp test, and sure enough same 1221 code for o2 sensor. The light came on and off all night at various times after that.

So... wtf? It's only kicking the light on when I have to sit at idle for a while at lights. It eventually goes away after driving a few minutes. Problem is, I have to get the car inspected before the month is out and I can't have that stupid light coming on. Anyone have this issue before?

I replaced the o2 sensor with a Bosch OE replacement (#13108) in case anyone wanted to know what was used.
    Last edited by SnakeyesTx; 01-27-2007 at 05:19 PM.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Is the exhaust tight,any leaks at the manifold? Check the o2 sensor heater relay? Is an exhaust leak allowing the sensor to get too cold for proper output range?
    These are guess' based on the probable issues listed for the wideband o2 sensor by Innovate Motorsport.
    erased due to slander

Default Try disconnecting the 02 sensor at the connection >

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    I had to cave in and drop the exhaust. I borrowed a lift at a friend's shop, swapped the sensor, fired up the car and the check engine light was still on. I hadn't disconnected the battery yet so I figure I'll do it when I get home. Halfway home (about 5 miles into a 10 mile trip) the engine gets up to operating temperature and suddenly the light turns off. I can feel the idle issues disappear at short stops and stop signs, and the acceleration even get better. About a block from my house, I'm sitting at a red light for what seemed like forever, and out of the blue, the motor bucks and the idle bogs down like it used to do, and the check engine light comes back on. It's back to its retarded acceleration too. As I pull into the driveway, the light turned off again and idle went back to nice and smooth, aka normal.

Disconnected the battery for over 2 hours, put it back on, started the car, no light, smooth idle, good drivability again.

First red light I get stuck at for more than 2 minutes, bang.. bog down for a second, idle b/s again, check engine light back on. I pull over and stomp test, and sure enough same 1221 code for o2 sensor. The light came on and off all night at various times after that.

So... wtf? It's only kicking the light on when I have to sit at idle for a while at lights. It eventually goes away after driving a few minutes. Problem is, I have to get the car inspected before the month is out and I can't have that stupid light coming on. Anyone have this issue before?

I replaced the o2 sensor with a Bosch OE replacement (#13108) in case anyone wanted to know what was used.
    and taking it for a test drive. I was checking mine out this week and disconnected it. The CEL came on after a few minutes, but the car drove fine, both at idle and during acceleration. I hooked it back up and the light went out after about a 1/2 mile and the performance was the same. Guess I am saying, see if you get the same problem without 02 sensor hooked up. If the problem appears, I am guessing something else is causing the CEL. Check your temp sensors to make sure they are within spec.
    Jeff in MN
    87 535is 245k Recent top end re-work
    88 528e 290k
    90 535i 115k
    98 740i 115k New Magnaflow Cats, No More Codes

test your fuel pump

Where can I find said relay?

The DME, Fuel Pump and O2 sensor relays are shown in the pic below. Also shown is the switch I made to run the fuel pump to test it.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Nice! Labeled and all Thanks

Okay, my relays look a little different than the picture, but I went ahead and changed the one closest to the fender like the one in the picture. It was white and had the number 12.631729004. Started the car, drove it around the block a few times with the CEL off and it ran just fine like before.

As soon as the temperature hit the 1/2 mark, I did the typical "stop for about a minute" simulating being at a red light.

Light came on again, idle fluctuated and the car bucked like it wanted to take off again like before. I can't get the light to come on while driving, only when I come to a stop and sit there for a bit. Sure, my fuel pump makes the typical high pitched noise like a GM one does, but this has really got me stumped. Any other ideas?

Stomp Test gave me the 1221 code again.

Well, its the last day of the month... gonna drive it till the light turns off then try the inspection. ... failure is eminent though. I hate inspections. Something always tends to go wrong.

im sure you have but just incase, have you check real good for intake leaks, cracks in the airbox etc?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast