GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anti-Rattle Clip Missing Does this affect...

Default Anti-Rattle Clip Missing Does this affect...

Hello everyone, i own a E34 525i (95' Automatic) with about 140k miles on it. I'm really asking this question not out of curiosity but to just verify my suspicion. About a month back when i was replacing my rear brake pads on my passenger side i had unsoundly re-installed the anti-rattle clip that goes around the caliper. only a few days later when i found myself back down there i found the clip gone! when i drive and i'm on the freeway going about 40 mph or more and i apply pressure to the brake pedeal, my steering wheel rattles/twitches. I had some previous complications with my brakes that may have led to uneven wear but im more than certain this rattling is the source of a missing anti-rattle clip. i know its silly to ask but i wanted someones opinion to at least confirm. or should i just replace all of my pads instead?

The rattle clip won't cause the shimmy. The front end shimmy is well covered here.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

On the back, I don't know first hand, but it will probably cause wear problems, and pretty quickly too. I'll give you my experience with the front brakes.

On my 01 330Ci, I swapped out my pads (not rotors) when they got low, and put everything back together. About a day or two later, I noticed that the clip was gone (don't know how it fell out). I figured that since the brakes weren't squealing or rattling that I would wait until my next BMA order to get the clip. When I finally replace the clip 3 weeks later, my pads had worn in a wedge shape due to the caliper not being centered on the rotor from the clip. When the clip went back in, I had HORRIBLE pedal travel, because the now wedged pads could move around in the caliper when you stepped on the pad (and they only had to move a fraction of an inch too). I figured that with the clip in place, I would eventually wear the pads even and the problem would go away.

After another 2 weeks like that, I gave up, and put the old pads back on (still have a few months left) on that side, and ordered new pads that should come soon.

So yes, without the clip, you can make a new set of pads worthless pretty quickly. I don't think its a safety issue though.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC