GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: VW rabbit & pickup

Default OT: VW rabbit & pickup

I have a chance to get a 81 vw rabbit diesel and a old vw diesel fwd truck for cheap, do you guys know anything about these, relibality wise?
    Thanks for the input!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phatty5BMW
    I have a chance to get a 81 vw rabbit diesel and a old vw diesel fwd truck for cheap, do you guys know anything about these, relibality wise?
    Thanks for the input!!
    I've owned 8+ of them - It really depends on your use. The engine is good for about 250-300k when properly cared for before it will need a rebuild. Also if you live a cold weather climate your glow plugs and battery need to be in top shape or you will have starting difficulties. I encourage you to drive one on the highway prior to purchasing them as "speed" and "acceleration" are not words I would use to describe them. If you have any other questions let me know I'll do me best to answer them.
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

They are loved by many, and despised by many- especially once they have been overheated or once they have been sitting for a while.

Parts are not too hard to come by, even for the old stuff like this- some of it can be pretty expensive if you have to buy new (injection pump, etc).

If you can work on them yourself and you have a decent understanding of things diesel- then go for it!! If you have to take them to a shop every time there is something wrong, then they're probably not for you.

Basically, if they are currently running well, they will likely continue to do so for many miles- with basic upkeep. If they are not running well, it's impossible to say what's wrong with them or how much $$$ it will take to get them running well.

Bret.

Awesome. I know for sure the rabbit has 100,000 miles on it, runs excellent but doesnt start in the winter (glow plugs), I priced them 12 bucks a piece, thats no problem at all. I am all diy so workin on it will be no biggy, as I work with diesel's all day and my dad is a semi-driver so he has the knowledge.

As far as the truck, I was told it runs and starts easier than the rabbit and has 70-80k on it, and both run great.

The reason for the inquiry is my 535 sucks the gas down and i drive 95 miles round trip to work and back and 55mpg sounds better than 20 mpg and i can get free diesel at work I am familiar with beetles as I have owned 2 baja's and my parents have a super beetle so I know how the whole old school vw frightning interstate experiences but i think i can get over it.

I am hoping to get both these p.o.s's for bout 500 bucks so i guess that would pay off real soon. I can put my 185lb St. Bernard in the back of the truck an make the springs sag like i got hydraulics in the back

Thanks for the help guys.

I owned a 1980 rabbit in Michigan. Used a water jacket heater. Its a hassel if you don't have a plug in near but it will start up almost as easy as gas car with this device. Winters do get cold here.......its now zero degress...........yukkkkkkkkkkkk

My dad had an 1984 Diesel Dasher. That thing went forever and it was in Pennsylvania. The Guy that does our inspections said he couldn't believe that it lasted so long. We sold it about 3 years ago after the engine caught fire. Total mileage before sale: 300,000. But our 1986 Turbo Diesel Jetta had so many electrical problems that we had to junk it.

Quote Originally Posted by 92E34
    But our 1986 Turbo Diesel Jetta had so many electrical problems that we had to junk it.
    Here here. I used to be a relatively large vw fan (2 golfs, jetta, scirroco), but after owning a 90s golf, I realized that for a DIYer that isn't electrically inclined, the hastles outweigh the engine reliablity. Even my trusty scirroco had issues. Want the lights on? Turn them off of course! Want to listen to the radio? Turn the lights back on! Need to defrost? Forget having interior lighting................

I hope the 'newer' models were assembled by an adult

Ahh, what am I saying, I still love that scirroco Vent over.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

A former colleague of mine bought one of these new in the early '80s when gas prices reached the absurd price of a DOLLAR a gallon.
    His constant reports of the fuel economy became tedious so another fellow and I decided to have fun. We alternately siphoned fuel from his tank and sometimes added back. It drove him nuts and we never let on to him.
    My recollection is he loved the economy but nothing else and only kept it a short time.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

they will run a long time as others have said. Parts are quite cheap although I don't have much experience with the diesels. My 84 GTI had 550,000 miles when the engine block cracked due to overheating. My 89 Cabriolet has about 300,000miles but i'm not sure because the odometer has never worked since I've owned it.
    germanautoparts.com has a good selection of parts if you need them

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I am hopefully getting both of them for 450-500 bucks, so sounds like a good deal. Hopefully i dont buy 2 p.o.s. and not beable to drive them lol. I will let you guys know how it goes as should be buying within a few weeks. thanks again!!!

Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast