GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attn: any old formula Chevron Delo users w/ a Advance auto parts in their area..

Default attn: any old formula Chevron Delo users w/ a Advance auto parts in their area..

they are closing out the old formulation of Chevron delo 15w40 in quarts from their shelves to make room for the new ULSD formula. i first found this a month ago, but not all of the stores were running the special price at that point. i believe that all of the stores are now (mildly) obligated to get the stuff of the shelves. i've been to five stores now and all of them had the quarts of the old formula for $.94-$.96 each. this is the old formula, mind you, with the yellow strip at the top of the front label saying "new, reduced wear formula" or "optimized for caterpillar EGR systems" and NOT "ULSD formula". if i had more time in orlando, i'd have gone to two or three more stores, i've bought all that the two stores in my city had, and have at least 10 bottles sitting loose in the car in addition to the shelf full that i have/had.

me, personally, i think that Castrol Tection is a better product, flows better when cold, holds grade longer, and saves more fuel, but i'll eat the differences for less than $1 per quart.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

hmmm i gotta stop to make on the way home, i run delo in the e30s and da truck (which takes 3 gallons a shot every 5-6k miles)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

TC535i Guest

What do you guys suggest for a cheap 3k oil/weight for the 540i? I was thinking delo, or some 10-40... that ok?

U serious? Factory engine Cummin takes 3 gallons a shot? 12 quarts? How many filters do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    What do you guys suggest for a cheap 3k oil/weight for the 540i? I was thinking delo, or some 10-40... that ok?
    if its warm there, it should work ok->well for you. i just noticed that it doesn't work as well as tection below 40 or so for me, and sucks fuel mileage down compared to the same. its certainly better and more robust than cheap gasoline engine oil (edit...even expensive brand name gas oil), can stay in grade longer too.

my observations from using 10w40....the people still making 10w40 are slacking a little too much for me to keep using the stuff. all the ones i've tried in the last little while seem to go out of grade really quick compared to even 3 years ago. though i don't have an m60, i do have a 4 valve engine, and end up changing oil every 3 or 4 weeks or so (so i've tried a lot) IMHO if you want to use that grade, use a name brand one, which sort of negates the intent of "cheap".
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 01-24-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

11 quarts and one filter, i usually just dump all 3 jugs in as i get my delo from sams in the big 6 gallon case instead of quarts, i think the newer trucks take even more

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    U serious? Factory engine Cummin takes 3 gallons a shot? 12 quarts? How many filters do you have?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Don't you think 3 gallons and every 5-6000k is excessive interval? Is that what the manual tells you to do so? I'd imagine with this much oil, you could go nearly 15,000 miles or so per oil change. Especially with that monster oil filter that Cummin uses. I would say oil analysis makes sense for this engine.

I can't imagine big rig change their oil every week if they hit that 5000 miles. That's the reason they have such a huge capacity and two filters.

5-6k is the factory interval plus i am running a lot more fuel then stock though it, i don't really feel like ****ing around with bypass filtration at this point (that's what lets you really stretch out the oil change) theres guys running a spinner centrifuge or fratz toilet paper bypass system getting 30k miles out of dino oil and over 50k out of synthetic with oil analysis, big rigs i think get 100k or better out of a oil service (i think i read about a mack that went a little over 400k on a oil change before a change was recommended) how you drive those miles makes a big difference on how long you can run a change too, highway is a lot less hard on the oil

Don't you think 3 gallons and every 5-6000k is excessive interval? Is that what the manual tells you to do so? I'd imagine with this much oil, you could go nearly 15,000 miles or so per oil change. Especially with that monster oil filter that Cummin uses. I would say oil analysis makes sense for this engine.

I can't imagine big rig change their oil every week if they hit that 5000 miles. That's the reason they have such a huge capacity and two filters.

Shoot, my '96 Ford Powerstroke diesel truck takes 14 QTs per oil change. It's got a spin on filter that holds about 2 qts.

I change the oil/filter about every 5-6k miles, I consider it cheap insurance- even with oil costing ~$3 per Qt these days.

Thanks for the lead Ryan- I'm going to hit up some Advance stores tomorrow to see if I can pickup some of this Delo.......

Bret.

it runs about $48 for a 6 gallon case at sams, sometimes it's on sale but i usually miss it

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Shoot, my '96 Ford Powerstroke diesel truck takes 14 QTs per oil change. It's got a spin on filter that holds about 2 qts.

I change the oil/filter about every 5-6k miles, I consider it cheap insurance- even with oil costing ~$3 per Qt these days.

Thanks for the lead Ryan- I'm going to hit up some Advance stores tomorrow to see if I can pickup some of this Delo.......

Bret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast