GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio does not pass 90FM!

Default Radio does not pass 90FM!

I searched but I couldn't find an answer. My 90 535i is from Japan and my stock radio does not go past 90FM. And of course, all the stations are above 90! Is there a way for me to resolve this? Thanks!! Also while I'm at it, it appears that if I want to listen to CDs, I just need to hook up a CD changer in the back right? Will I have to change the stock head unit? I don't see a 'CD' button anywhere.

That is standard for japanese radios. They will not go past 90 FM.
    Ask a radio shop if they can do something on this, but probably you can scrap it.
    You will find some more items on your car which are Japan specification only, such as the temperature sensor at the back of the cat.
    But this sensor has no influence on the MOTRONIC, just gives a warning if the temp goes to high to avoid a fire when the car is parked on dry grass etc.
    There is also a special replay for this, only Japan spec cars have that.

I've seen a radio before (don't remember which model) which had an option for Regional Settings -- Europe and North America... the difference being some frequencies of stations in Europe end in even numbers (ex: 95.4 fm) and you'd be able to switch between both... you might check and see if such an option exists on your radio which may include North America. Of course, this might be as simple as a software issue (programming options via front panel buttons) or a hardware issue (replacing some type of PROM inside the radio).. or as mentioned in the previous post, getting a new radio.

Lol, change the headunit, they're only cheap!

The japanese version from 78-90 FM is not sold overseas, as for example in Europe these are the ranges for police, firefighters etc.
    These radios are not allowed to be used there with such frequency.

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to get a new headunit, but I want to stick with an OEM look. So I guess there aren't any OEM in-dash CD units for our cars eh?

maybe you contact this company, if there is a chance to change the frequencies
    http://www.radiomanrepair.com/BMWRadioRepair/index.html

What model do you have? Sony CDX...
    Is the amp. and disk player in the trunk?

Sorry I've no clue. I don't have a disc changer or anything. I got tape and some rather useless radio stations to keep me entertained on the road. At least I get to listen to a TV station, so everyday after work, I list to Star Trek and in the mornings, I listen to Breakfast Television! It's either that or the Christian music channel. I know that it is CD changer ready, so probably all the wirings in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    maybe you contact this company, if there is a chance to change the frequencies
    http://www.radiomanrepair.com/BMWRadioRepair/index.html

What model do you have? Sony CDX...
    Is the amp. and disk player in the trunk?

you know you could always hard wire a later 91+ connector in so you could use a later OEM cd in dash unit. That would be the most logical solution... at least to me.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 01-25-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Yes, that would probably be the best solution. Do you know which model I should focus on? E36? E39? All the E36s I've seen have the tape deck / CD changer in trunk configuration, but I don't know about the other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    you know you could always hard wire a later 91+ connector in so you could use a later OEM cd in dash unit. That would be the most logical solution... at least to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast