GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Straps....keep your eyes open (m)

Default Fuel Tank Straps....keep your eyes open (m)

Over the weekend, after a trip to the store, I walked back to my car and noticed something under the gas tank. It looked like a large twig or stick, but when I got under to take a closer look it was the passenger side fuel tank strap......rusted and split in the middle........hanging. Luckily, I only had 1/8 tank of gas at the time, so drove home and parked it. The driver's side strap was in much better condition, so I was comfortable letting it sit until I got replacement parts.

I called BMA and immediately ordered the parts just in case. But the dealer, after applying my BMWCCA discount, had the same price of $18.50 on each (L/R) fuel tank strap, and $1/ea for two bolts. I wasn't going to get the parts from BMA until about Thursday, so I opted for the dealer since I couldn't afford to have my daily driver parked that long.

This is just a heads up to those of you who drive your E34 daily, and especially in the winter with salt/snow/ice. Inspect your fuel tank straps underneath the tank, and behind the bumper where they bolt up. The parts are cheap, and the install is super easy.

wow weird
    i recently developed a leak between the strap and the tank
    so in this case it looks like my straps are stronger than yours heheh
    but yeah i just jb welded the fuel tank and haven't seen a bit of gas since =]

Default Thanks for the warning Scott, but I don't think its a

problem here

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    Over the weekend, after a trip to the store, I walked back to my car and noticed something under the gas tank. It looked like a large twig or stick, but when I got under to take a closer look it was the passenger side fuel tank strap......rusted and split in the middle........hanging. Luckily, I only had 1/8 tank of gas at the time, so drove home and parked it. The driver's side strap was in much better condition, so I was comfortable letting it sit until I got replacement parts.

I called BMA and immediately ordered the parts just in case. But the dealer, after applying my BMWCCA discount, had the same price of $18.50 on each (L/R) fuel tank strap, and $1/ea for two bolts. I wasn't going to get the parts from BMA until about Thursday, so I opted for the dealer since I couldn't afford to have my daily driver parked that long.

This is just a heads up to those of you who drive your E34 daily, and especially in the winter with salt/snow/ice. Inspect your fuel tank straps underneath the tank, and behind the bumper where they bolt up. The parts are cheap, and the install is super easy.

Default no problem with me either Scott....

may car is from Palm Beach Florida and time spent in Michigan it has been stored winters. Gas tank straps and in fact whole undercarriage it immaculate. I tooth brush it weekly.

George
    Givin' ya some sheeot man.

Might be a good idea to inspect regularly on any vehicle with tank straps. One of my plant electricians was telling me this morning his strap retaining nuts vibrated off the gas tank of his late model full size Dodge P/U last week in Anderson SC. He was thankfull it came loose where it did as he had 30 gallons and was heading for Interstate 85 when it happened.
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default Yeah, screw both of you (m)

I'm sending one strap to be covertly installed on Bill's car, and one on yours George.....muahahahah

Just to let you know you're not the only one Scott.
    I had to change mine 2 weeks ago. The drivers side strap had completely rusted out.
    The passenger side was still OK but I wanted to change it anyway.

Default keep in mind guys....

that all that have bad gas tank straps should adhere precisely to the BMW procedure for replacement. This is quite rigorous as it involves removing the gas tank and doing a complete purge and argon fill. What has been found is two fold:
    1. Many times not only the straps let go on old Bimmers driven through the rust belt but the tanks themselves rust out. This is a safety hazard that needs to be addressed immediately.
    2. When a single strap goes, this causes the tank to vibrate putting undue fatigue on age hardened hoses leading to and from the tank/fuel pump also promoting possible rupture and fire hazard.
    Recommended replacment practice includes all rearward components including suspension arms, differential and all items damaged by excessive salt corrosion.
    To all those with this misfortune, Good Luck.

George

Unregistered Guest

Default you say the tanks rust.....

When you say the tanks rust...i thought they were plastic...mine is anyways

darren

Darren,
    I thought I made it obvious...a joke. I was ribbing Scott about driving his prize Bimmer in the snow. The giveaway was the last part where I suggested he replace all rearward components...lol.
    The fuel tank on my '90 E-32 is steel. Would be very suprised if the fuel tank on an E-34 is plastic...but perhaps a change was made at some point during the production run if your tank is plastic.
    George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast