GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Shift linkage part -- how does this install?

Default Shift linkage part -- how does this install?

#14 here:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...25&hg=25&fg=05

It's the "T" junction for the shift selector - how do you remove the old one? Does the transmission need to come out or what?

no but its a PITA. i did this when i had my M3. theres a circlip that goes into the grove as you can see. its 19 in the diagram. #20 is a little foam piece which will cause about 90 percent of the play in your shifter.once you get number 19 out of the grove use a pice with a 90 degree angle to push the pin out through the bottom. the coupler will then pull off. its a good time to replace the selector shaft seal at the same time. get a new circlip because i had to bend the crap out of mine to get it off.

Markus - this "circlip" thing you talk about, is it the thing in picture here? It looks different from what is drawn on realoem. I just want to make sure I don't need a part that may break once I get in there again.

It's got new foam inside it already - I think you're right, I think it will remove the majority of the slop - I can imagine that the foam in the unit now is real compressed and worthless allowing movement.

Which selector shaft seal are you talking about?

Slip off the circlip #19, the one on realoem is a circlip sleeve. Just open it up a little and work it toward the end of the shaft. If it looks like it's a solid piece, it's not. Rotate it till you see the split. You only need to slide it part way to expose the pin that you have to push out with a screwdriver, then part will remove easily.

Installation is reversal of removal....ha,ha....

JR

the seletor shafte seal is on the tranny, its right behind where the little ball thing is where u took that couplig off. the seal removed with a screwdriver and u put the new one in with a socket. i never did it before but pelican parts shows u how in their rebuilding shift linkage writeup. but yea. if u have a new circlip just bend the **** out of the old one and push the pin out with a pick.

Yea getting that part off is the easy part. Just did this in my E28 and man what a PITA. Don't get pissed like I did, makes things alot harder. Its very very frustrating but not hard, your hands feel mis-shaped when they come out of there from being twisted and bent tryin to get the damn clip back on. BTW don't do what I did, install it backwords and have to do it again. There is a certain way it installs, make sure you check it before you put that clip on. PITA but do-able Good-Luck!!

Pat

Oh ya, the old clip that was on mine was a regular C Clip or snap ring clip. The new one i recieve is just like yours like a circular piece of wire with a gap, those are much easier as i tried to re-use the old pos., why I don't know but good luck meyn!

This shouldn't be bad - I only wish I had it on Thursday when i had the whole transmission out!

Oh well, <3 UPS for late delivery.