GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical problems

Default Electrical problems

I just installed a new car radio and i think the factories ground wire isn't properly connected. When i hook everything up, and turn on the radio, it wont come on unless the car is started. Even then, it cuts out at loud volumes. I need to know where the factory ground wire may be located at. I think my interior lights are effected by the poorly connected ground wire b/c they are dimmer when the car is off. Does anyone have any experience with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico_NC
    I just installed a new car radio and i think the factories ground wire isn't properly connected. When i hook everything up, and turn on the radio, it wont come on unless the car is started. Even then, it cuts out at loud volumes. I need to know where the factory ground wire may be located at. I think my interior lights are effected by the poorly connected ground wire b/c they are dimmer when the car is off. Does anyone have any experience with this.
    Are you sure you have the switched 12V lead and constant 12V connected correctly? I had a similar problem once and that was the issue. If you’re concerned about grounding just on a separate wire to the chassis to test your theory.
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

i switched the 12v connectors, and it still cuts out. Wont turn on unless i have the car on. Even though it cuts out. Where would the factory ground be located at?

Brown wires are ground on German cars.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Whomever previously had the car had some sort of harness attached to the factory one, so im guessing they did it right. I dont know. They had the black wire from the OEM radio taped to a metal screw as the ground i think. I know that is probably wrong. I disconnected it and ran it to the black wire from the harness, but it still is not working correctly. I might need to buy another harness.

It looks something like this:

I also have this is my car but it's not connected to anything what is it? I know it's an antenna thingy, but i see no where to connect it on my radio.

could someone please help me locate the factory ground. Where does it lead to? I think the connection might have rusted over or something

The "antenna thingy" is a Right Angle antenna connector - for tight install in the rear of the radio. Plug your existing antenna cable into the end, and the other end into the radio. You can save about 2" in radio depth this way. There must be the mating connector on the radio for this to work.

sc
    scott 4991
    535i, 172K miles

According to Bentley, The OE radio harness has a black/white wire… not just a black wire. Anyway maybe you didn’t notice the white tracer on the black wire.

If the black/white wire from the OE harness is the one in question… well it’s the lead to the body computer system, not a ground.

I would think it serves no purpose with an aftermarket head unit. ground or float really shouldn’t make a difference.
    SOLD!

Dim lights, cutting out at loud volumes, only working when the car is on...
    I would check your battery. Sounds to me like it might be on it's last leg or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast