GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT- Volvo discussion forum

Default OT- Volvo discussion forum

Hey there

I'm looking into a purchase of an older Volvo 240 and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a board like this one.

I've searched and found some pretty lame boards covering volvo's but was hoping for something as comprehensive (or close) to this board.

Any Volvo owners out there with information?

SR

not a volvo owner, but my brother just got a 850R so I have these sitting in my favorites list.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum/index.php

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeromain

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?

i know about all there is to know about 240s if ya just need some tips or questions answered, 91 and up 240s are the best imho with useful ac systems and less likely to fall apart engine wiring harnesses, whatever you wind up with let me know and i can fill you in on the common **** it will need, i don't recomend going older then 85 if you just gotta have a 4 headlight car, watch out for floor pan rust under the drivers seat, they either have it or they don't and not the absolute end of the world if it has it just better to not have it

Quote Originally Posted by semiretired
    Hey there

I'm looking into a purchase of an older Volvo 240 and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a board like this one.

I've searched and found some pretty lame boards covering volvo's but was hoping for something as comprehensive (or close) to this board.

Any Volvo owners out there with information?

SR
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I have a 91 240 in the garage and am a member of a few different boards.

If I need something, I usually check out:

Brickboard.com
    turbobricks.com
    volvospeed.com (I think)

Anyway, theres not much to those cars. Easy to work on, very reliable, relatively cheap parts, and you can buy them for lint and buttons!

Let us know if you have any particular questions.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

i had a 240 as well, brickboard is a decent site, as is turbobricks.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i know about all there is to know about 240s if ya just need some tips or questions answered, 91 and up 240s are the best imho with useful ac systems and less likely to fall apart engine wiring harnesses, whatever you wind up with let me know and i can fill you in on the common **** it will need, i don't recomend going older then 85 if you just gotta have a 4 headlight car, watch out for floor pan rust under the drivers seat, they either have it or they don't and not the absolute end of the world if it has it just better to not have it
    Im looking at a 92 240 with 178,000 miles

It's in decent condition. Other than floorboard rust, what else are the bugaboos?

timing belt should be checked, I also had the transmission in mine die. it was a high mileage 5 speed with overdrive car.

those are pretty hardy, the first thing id do would be to get a fuel pump relay and a crank sensor they are fairly cheep easy to change and will put you on a wrecker, service the flame trapp change it's vacuum line and drill out the nipple that vacuum line is attached to directly in the center of the intake one size larger, if it's not leaking oil this will help it to not start leaking oil, motor mounts and the tranny mount are fairly crappy, pull up and down on the front plate of the compressor looking for any slack and listen to the compressor, they can make noise for a long time but if it sounds like it's full of rocks or if you can move the clutch plate it's not long for this world, auto trannys are pretty tough and last a long time, the od relay and solenoid can go out but tranny failure is uncommon, the 5 speed is a little less long lived and the cable clutch can be a pain till it's sorted out if it's not right, get a full set of new fuses (glass bullet type if you can find them) a brass brush and a tube of dielectric grease, whup up on the fusebox with them and save yourself potential aggravation, the plastic headlights can be polished when they look like piss, make sure the in tank pre pump is not dead as it will still run, the air mass sensor and main engine computer can and do die but are not that hard to find reman/used for a reasonable $, the taillights, door pockets, dome light, glove box door and turn signal lenses are made from some of the shittyest plastic avalable

a list that long may seem like a lot but the late 240s make damn good cars and in the grand scheme of things they are cheep and easy to work on www.ipdusa.com has a great accessory catalog

Quote Originally Posted by semiretired
    Im looking at a 92 240 with 178,000 miles

It's in decent condition. Other than floorboard rust, what else are the bugaboos?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it