Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 200k Mile Transmission: to service or not to service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    176

    Default 200k Mile Transmission: to service or not to service

    So my trans is probably has all 200k original miles and it's getting old. I don't know if the previous owner changed filter or fluid and now it's acting up a little: Pendulum Shifting, poor gas mileage, drag.

    Every once in a while I hear that if you change trans filter and fluid that hasn't been regularly changed, you run the risk of breaking loose some deposits on the inside. Is there any truth in that warning?

    Should I just drive it until it the trans dies so I can do the auto manual swap?
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azale
    So my trans is probably has all 200k original miles and it's getting old. I don't know if the previous owner changed filter or fluid and now it's acting up a little: Pendulum Shifting, poor gas mileage, drag.

    Every once in a while I hear that if you change trans filter and fluid that hasn't been regularly changed, you run the risk of breaking loose some deposits on the inside. Is there any truth in that warning?

    Should I just drive it until it the trans dies so I can do the auto manual swap?
    I'm in the same boat with 200k on mine - as soon as I bought the car I changed the fluid. Would you buy a car and not change the engine oil for fear of loosening deposits??? That logic doesn't make sense IMO. - Change the fluid and drive it till it dies.
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

  3. #3

    Default

    i recently changed mine with 220k.. got rid of my transprogram code..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    446

    Default

    I'd do the fluid, run it a few days & drop both pans/new filter. My 525iT has 136k & luckily I got all service records. BMW did the fluid/filter around 30k & it was done again at 92k when the tranny came out for new seals. I drained the fluid a few days ago & will drop both pans as soon as the new service kit arrives. After that I'll drain the fluid on a regular base & do the filter again in 30-40k.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I don't know where I heard it but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    I'd do the fluid, run it a few days & drop both pans/new filter. My 525iT has 136k & luckily I got all service records. BMW did the fluid/filter around 30k & it was done again at 92k when the tranny came out for new seals. I drained the fluid a few days ago & will drop both pans as soon as the new service kit arrives. After that I'll drain the fluid on a regular base & do the filter again in 30-40k.
    I will do this Thursday or Friday. If it's bad, I'll take pictures.

    Thanks for the help.
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,148

    Default I've personally seen it on a number of

    ford and Lincoln's where they have high mileage without the fluid ever being changed, typically around 100k miles and the fluid is black, after changing it ,with 3 weeks the transmissions dies a painful death. I've never seen it on a bmw but i have also seen the same thing on the Isuzu rodeo's/troopers that share the same strassbourg transmission as the 525. Except they are a modified version for a transfer case. If a car have very high miles without a fluid change, i let the customer know of the possibilities and let them make the decision if they want me to change the fluid or not.



    Quote Originally Posted by azale
    I don't know where I heard it but I wanted to know what you guys thought.



    I will do this Thursday or Friday. If it's bad, I'll take pictures.

    Thanks for the help.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,892

    Default

    The old ATF fluids way back then like 15 years ago will disolve varnish and whatnot... the newer fluids today will do it very gently... they are formulated to prevent this from happening. I swear on Valvoline ATF Dextron for those of you who uses Dextron fluids.

    I would drain the fluid and top it off with new fluid for a couples of times... about 100 miles between each flush... If nothing goes wrong by the second time, then you are in good shape... and then I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid after you drive for another 100 miles on second fill. DO NOT OVERFILL... in the middle of the marks is all you need.

Similar Threads

  1. 525i / E34 Transmission problems after service
    By jjwiii in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM
  2. OT: switch to 5w20 in 200k mile ranger? any thoughts...
    By ryan roopnarine in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 04:46 PM
  3. 540 V8 200k+ service
    By choccibicci in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 08:21 AM
  4. 6 1/2 Quarts ATF for transmission service?
    By Rus in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 06:56 AM
  5. Montreal : BM Service Exclusif (BM Exclusive Service)
    By BMWDriver in forum Recommended Bimmer Repair Facilities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •