GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 200k Mile Transmission: to service or not to service

Default 200k Mile Transmission: to service or not to service

So my trans is probably has all 200k original miles and it's getting old. I don't know if the previous owner changed filter or fluid and now it's acting up a little: Pendulum Shifting, poor gas mileage, drag.

Every once in a while I hear that if you change trans filter and fluid that hasn't been regularly changed, you run the risk of breaking loose some deposits on the inside. Is there any truth in that warning?

Should I just drive it until it the trans dies so I can do the auto manual swap?
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

Quote Originally Posted by azale
    So my trans is probably has all 200k original miles and it's getting old. I don't know if the previous owner changed filter or fluid and now it's acting up a little: Pendulum Shifting, poor gas mileage, drag.

Every once in a while I hear that if you change trans filter and fluid that hasn't been regularly changed, you run the risk of breaking loose some deposits on the inside. Is there any truth in that warning?

Should I just drive it until it the trans dies so I can do the auto manual swap?
    I'm in the same boat with 200k on mine - as soon as I bought the car I changed the fluid. Would you buy a car and not change the engine oil for fear of loosening deposits??? That logic doesn't make sense IMO. - Change the fluid and drive it till it dies.
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

i recently changed mine with 220k.. got rid of my transprogram code..

I'd do the fluid, run it a few days & drop both pans/new filter. My 525iT has 136k & luckily I got all service records. BMW did the fluid/filter around 30k & it was done again at 92k when the tranny came out for new seals. I drained the fluid a few days ago & will drop both pans as soon as the new service kit arrives. After that I'll drain the fluid on a regular base & do the filter again in 30-40k.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

I don't know where I heard it but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    I'd do the fluid, run it a few days & drop both pans/new filter. My 525iT has 136k & luckily I got all service records. BMW did the fluid/filter around 30k & it was done again at 92k when the tranny came out for new seals. I drained the fluid a few days ago & will drop both pans as soon as the new service kit arrives. After that I'll drain the fluid on a regular base & do the filter again in 30-40k.
    I will do this Thursday or Friday. If it's bad, I'll take pictures.

Thanks for the help.
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

Default I've personally seen it on a number of

ford and Lincoln's where they have high mileage without the fluid ever being changed, typically around 100k miles and the fluid is black, after changing it ,with 3 weeks the transmissions dies a painful death. I've never seen it on a bmw but i have also seen the same thing on the Isuzu rodeo's/troopers that share the same strassbourg transmission as the 525. Except they are a modified version for a transfer case. If a car have very high miles without a fluid change, i let the customer know of the possibilities and let them make the decision if they want me to change the fluid or not.

Quote Originally Posted by azale
    I don't know where I heard it but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

I will do this Thursday or Friday. If it's bad, I'll take pictures.

Thanks for the help.

The old ATF fluids way back then like 15 years ago will disolve varnish and whatnot... the newer fluids today will do it very gently... they are formulated to prevent this from happening. I swear on Valvoline ATF Dextron for those of you who uses Dextron fluids.

I would drain the fluid and top it off with new fluid for a couples of times... about 100 miles between each flush... If nothing goes wrong by the second time, then you are in good shape... and then I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid after you drive for another 100 miles on second fill. DO NOT OVERFILL... in the middle of the marks is all you need.