GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zerex G48 coolant - where to buy?

Default Zerex G48 coolant - where to buy?

I can't seem to find this coolant anywhere? Does anyone know of a website or a store that sells it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    I can't seem to find this coolant anywhere? Does anyone know of a website or a store that sells it?

Thanks!
    Good Luck, its my understanding that Valvoline only makes Zerex G48 available to mfrs. However, there is one retail alternative to BMW/Mini coolant.

Check out SAAB "blue" coolant. Besides being blue, it comes in a similar white container and according to Vavoline Zerex G48 tech sheet is made up of the same stuff as BMW/Mini. At a cost of $12 or retail, its substantially cheaper than BMW too!

I use phosphate free Pentosin coolant. Its is blue. A local Euro imports shop recommended it. From googling i found something that said pentosin is the maker of bmw coolant? Dont know if its true or not but it might be worth further investigation.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by bfd
    Good Luck, its my understanding that Valvoline only makes Zerex G48 available to mfrs. However, there is one retail alternative to BMW/Mini coolant.

Check out SAAB "blue" coolant. Besides being blue, it comes in a similar white container and according to Vavoline Zerex G48 tech sheet is made up of the same stuff as BMW/Mini. At a cost of $12 or retail, its substantially cheaper than BMW too!

would I only be able to get this at a SAAB dealership? Or would it be available at say, Advance Auto or Napa? Thanks for the tip!

Or you could just buy the Zerex G-05 which is readily available at most auto parts stores. The search engine will give you LOTS of info on this subject.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

I searched this board and there is a lot of info about the coolant itself, but they didn't provide any information on where to buy G-05. I called or visited 6 major parts stores / chains in Montreal, and they don't stock Zerex. I called Napa and Advance Auto in Platsburgh, NY, which is the closest US city to me, and they don't stock G-05 either. I couldn't even find anyone selling it online. I am about to call Saab here in Montreal about the blue coolant - otherwise I am looking at 40 dollars a gallon for BMW coolant.

call a different bmw dealer, here in the US each dealer sets it's own prices which at times is a bit extreme. here it goes for 18-20 bux. you can also get it from BMAparts.com
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    I searched this board and there is a lot of info about the coolant itself, but they didn't provide any information on where to buy G-05. I called or visited 6 major parts stores / chains in Montreal, and they don't stock Zerex. I called Napa and Advance Auto in Platsburgh, NY, which is the closest US city to me, and they don't stock G-05 either. I couldn't even find anyone selling it online. I am about to call Saab here in Montreal about the blue coolant - otherwise I am looking at 40 dollars a gallon for BMW coolant.
    I buy it at Autozone around here but if you have a local Saab dealer nearby go for it. If they charge $40 gallon for the BMW stuff up there expect to pay $24 for the Saab stuff as that's twice as much as in the states. It's an hours drive for me to any Euro dealer & the G-05 does the same damn thing without the blue dye.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

autozone stocks g-05, which IS NOT the same thing, but it's about 10-12$ per gallon. no one other than bmw or saab can provide you with g48. i strongly suspect that pentosin blue in the litre bottle is g48, but its pricing usually makes it more expensive than buying a whole gallon of bmw blue.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i just called saab and they have no g05 or g48, they have "pink and green" ****ing useless waste of time talking to these people!

I guess I will have to pony up for the BMW coolant and then just order some from bma or bavauto for future use, and have it delivered to my US address. Thanks for all the help guys, it's really frustrating getting car parts in Canada sometimes.

Any chance I can mix g-05 with g48? autozone in plattsburgh has 1 gallon of it - 1.5 hour trip for me, but better than paying those bastards at the stealership.
    Last edited by repenttokyo; 01-18-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast