GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difference between EDC III <>EDC Plus?

Default difference between EDC III <>EDC Plus?

Anyone has a link to wiring diagrams or technical info / test procedure / troubleshooting manual about the EDC plus system. This was used on E34 M5 3.8.
    Found out that some E32 Alpina B12 5.0 also have this system. I gave my spare EDC III control module to by buddy but he found out that he has this EDC plus module.
    For the EDC plus for the M5 the part number of the module is 37.15-1 139 600 12V 412.215/071/001
    pics http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/07/ed/5f65_1.JPG
    http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/07/ed/5f65_1.JPG

What is the difference?

found some info only:

"S" position (for sport mode) or "P" position (programmed).
    Standard EDC III has S and K

http://www.kindel.com/bmw/how_to_identify.htm

I found a comment on the German M5 forum, that the EDC III plus was only available on M5 3.8 with Nurburgring package, the normal M5 just had EDC III.

Looks like the previous owner installed in the E32 Alpina B 12 the wrong control module from an M5 in Nurburgring specification.

Will try a normal EDC III control module I still have on stock.
    Last edited by shogun; 10-21-2008 at 04:34 AM.

The US 540i M-Sports also had the Nurburgring EDC package. The EDC computer in my M-Sport says EDC IV on it. And my EDC switch has the "S" & "P" modes. As far as I'm aware the Canadian M540's should have it as well. I think the Australian 540i LE's did too.

I've kind of wondered why the EDC computer says EDC IV when I always hear it referred to as an EDC III system.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Might ask about this over here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/ as there's a good bit of guys there that know a good deal about EDC setups (both Nurburgring and standard).

Thanks for the info, bubba.
    So you have a EDC computer saying EDC IV and the S and P?
    That makes it even more confusing.
    Maybe the 540i M-Sports in US, Canada and maybe OZ spec is again a slightly different set-up. The computer in Germany I found clearly states EDC III plus.
    Never seen that before.

Yup, the EDC computer says EDC IV on it. Maybe they improved the EDC after the 3.8 M5's production stopped, but in time for the 540's that got the Nurburgring setup installed.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    The US 540i M-Sports also had the Nurburgring EDC package. The EDC computer in my M-Sport says EDC IV on it. And my EDC switch has the "S" & "P" modes. As far as I'm aware the Canadian M540's should have it as well. I think the Australian 540i LE's did too.
    The Australian LEs did not. It might have been an option (though as they were all made at the same time, I doubt it- so perhaps a dealer fitted item if someone wanted it).

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    The Australian LEs did not. It might have been an option (though as they were all made at the same time, I doubt it- so perhaps a dealer fitted item if someone wanted it).
    As unfortunately I don't know my LE's very well, are you saying that they don't have the EDC suspension, or that they don't have the Nurburgring EDC suspension (part of the Nurburgring package was the EDC selection switch)?

I'd think that fitting an EDC suspension at the dealer would be insanely expensive due to the amount of sensors, wiring, etc. that compose the EDC system.

But if they had the EDC suspension (which I thought they did), but not the Nurburgring version then it would be quite easy for a dealer to install the switch. The wiring for the switch is already in the dash. All you'd have to do is find the plug and drop the switch in.

Erich and Bubba,

I gleened this information from a BMW Finland site. It is very informative and after studying the role of the sensors, I was able to track down an intermittent problem of my own.

As far as your original question, I would believe the difference is the version of the computer and the different sensors it utilizes to provide a given ride. The newer EDC systems have the wiring that comes out at the top of the shock. The version that is in my 540i M-Sport connects the coils at the bottom of the shock. The writer also speaks of a button instead of a rocker type switch which is what the M540i Sport uses, also there is mention of the speed sensor being picked up by the front ABS unit speed signal rendering a longitudinal acceleration sensor unneccessary. The acceleration sensor used in the M540 is located to the upper left of the battery under the rear seat and the part was discontinued long, long ago. So maybe they found a better way...An elegant system when it works correctly, but if there's trouble, you had better be a patient man with an electrical engineering degree.

Anyway, give this a good read over and if you're not completly confused by then, at least your eyes will be glazed over...=)

Compliments of BTCF Forum in Finland...

The electronic damper control III Plus (EDC III +) is an electronic damping force control system.The aim of the system is to adapt the necessary damping force of the vibration dampers to current driving and road conditions such that maximum driving safety is achieved in conjunction with the highest possible degree of comfort.
    For this purpose, the system features the following sensors to record the driving situation: Steering angle sensor, speed sensor, front body acceleration sensor, rear body acceleration sensor.
    Dependent on these sensor data relating to the driving situation, the EDC control unit switches the damper valves integrated in the shock absorbers in the stages "soft", "medium" or "hard".
    With the aid of the EDC program button, the driver has the option of selecting two different programs:The "Sports program" is selected in button position "S" and the "Comfort program" in button position "K".In the sports program, the dampers are switched more rigidly oriented, i.e. the damper setting "soft" is avoided. In setting "K", all three switching stages are operated, i.e. there is a sports and a comfort characteristic curve.
    Since the EDC programs ("Sports" and "Comfort") are selected by means of a button (no rocker switch), only the LED integrated in the button indicates which program is currently selected. When the LED at the "S" symbol lights, the EDC operates in the"Sports program", if the LED is off the system is operating in the "Comfort program".This, of course, only applies if the EDC system is intact.
    Important!
    If the EDC system is not operable (e.g. one sensor defective) or faulty to such an extent that reliable road adhesion can no longer be guarantied under all conditions, the safety concept (integrated in the software of the EDC control unit) switches off the entire EDC system.In this case, the LED in the selector switch goes out even if the "Sports program" is active. To ensure continued save vehicle operation in the event of such a system failure, the power supply to the damper valves is cut, i.e. they are operated in the fixed stage "hard".Although vehicle damping is then rigid, it can be further operated without any loss in road adhesion and the next service workshop can be visited safely.
    General information

The EDC III Plus system has diagnostic capabilities.Disturbances on the supply and signal lines of the damper valves, defects and illogical behaviour of the system sensors and their corresponding lines are stored in the defect code memory of the control unit.
    Note
    Faults in the EDC system found by the defect code memory can be examined and rectified by way of the program point "Test modules".
    EDC program button

In line with the operating philosophy of the E38, the EDC programs are selected by means of a button (in contrast to the rocker switch in earlier EDC systems).
    The program button is marked with "K" for "Comfort program" and "S" for "Sports program".
    When the sports program is selected, the LED lights at the "S" symbol.The LED remains off when the comfort program is selected.
    The button lighting is dimmed when the headlights are switched on.
    Important!
    If operation of the EDC III Plus system is persistently disturbed, the system is switched off, the LED in the program button remains off.
    Steering angle sensor

The task of the steering angle sensor is to record the steering wheel angle while driving.
    The EDC control unit processes both the real steering angle as well as the steering angle speeds, i.e. changes in angle. In this way, the variables of the steering angle as well as the steering angle speed have an influence on the switching logic of the EDC system.
    The steering angle sensor is mounted on the steering column spindle.The sensor consists of 2 wipers offset by 90 degrees. The measuring range of the steering angle sensor extends from 180 degrees left to 180 degrees right and the straight-ahead position, i.e. the centre position of the steering wheel marks the 0 degree setting.
    Important!
    If the steering angle sensor is changed or if it is necessary to carry out work on the front axle system, front wheels/steering system, the so-called steering angle offset must be carried out on completion of this work.The diagnosis program is used for this purpose.
    The steering angle offset is selected under the point SERVICE FUNCTIONS. After setting the front wheels in the straight ahead-position, the control unit carried out the offset procedure automatically after pressing the confirmation button. The 0 degrees setting of the steering angle sensor now agrees with the physical straight-ahead position of the front wheels.
    Slight deviations which may occur because the straight-ahead position of the steering wheels can only be set by eye, are compensated by the EDC control unit itself when driving.
    The EDC control unit powers the steering angle sensor with a 5 Volt supply.Data transfer to the control unit takes place via 2 signal lines.
    Front acceleration sensor

The front acceleration sensor records the acceleration of the car body at the front in vertical direction.
    The body acceleration is caused by the reaction of the car to the road surface. In addition to the absolute acceleration, the acceleration frequency is also recorded, i.e. the changes in acceleration (spring deflection/rebound), in other terms the vibration frequency of the vehicle body.
    The acceleration sensor receives a 12 Volt supply from the control unit.
    A voltage value between 0 and 5 Volt is output to the control unit at the signal output of the sensor. A value of 2.5 Volt represents the rest position (acceleration = 0), the values 0 Volt and 5 Volt are the maximum acceleration values.
    Important!
    In order to check the function of the sensor, "front acceleration sensor" can be selected in the diagnosis program under the point "Function test".
    Checking outside the vehicle:
    Remove sensor, connect to 12 Volt supply and check the function by measuring the voltage at the signal output while at the same time moving the sensor. If the sensor is operating correctly, the measured voltage value is varied between approx. 0 and 5 Volt (depending on degree of movement, i.e. acceleration magnitude).
    Installation location of sensor:Right-hand spring strut dome on side panel behind splash guard.
    Rear acceleration sensor

The rear acceleration sensor records the acceleration of the vehicle body at the rear in vertical direction.
    The body acceleration is caused by the reaction of the vehicle to the road surface.In addition to the absolute acceleration, the acceleration frequency is also recorded, i.e. the changes in acceleration (spring deflection/rebound), in other terms the vibration frequency of the vehicle body.
    The acceleration sensor receives a 12 Volt supply from the control unit.
    A voltage value between 0 and 5 Volt is output to the control unit at the signal output of the sensor. A value of 2.5 Volt represents the rest position (acceleration = 0), the value 0 Volt and 5 Volt are the maximum acceleration values.
    Important!
    In order to check the function of the sensor, "front acceleration sensor" can be selected in the diagnosis program under the point "Function test".
    Checking outside the vehicle:
    Remove sensor, connect to 12 Volt supply and negative and check function by measuring voltage at signal output while at the same time moving the sensor.If the sensor is operating correctly, the measured voltage value will vary between approx. 0 and 5 Volt (depending on movement, i.e. acceleration magnitude).
    Installation location of sensor:Rear RH spring dome, accessible from luggage compartment after removing the trim.
    EDC valves for chassis dampers

Newly developed vibration dampers with integrated valves operate in the EDC III Plus system. Contact of the connection is made by the piston rod.
    The two valves are switched in combination such that three damping force stages are made possibleamper stage "hard", damper stage "medium" and damper stage "soft".
    In addition to the more compact design compared to the old EDC system, it has also been possible to reduce the weight of the new dampers.
    Speed signal

The EDC control unit receives its speed signals from the front left wheel speed sensor of the ABS system.
    From this speed sensor, the signal is transfered to the ABS control unit which in turn sends the signal to the EDC control unit. The speed signal received by the EDC control unit is a square-wave signal (0 to 12 VOLT).
    The corresponding cornering speed/lateral acceleration is calculated on the basis of the measuring variables vehicle speed and steering wheel angle.
    Calculating the change in vehicle speed renders a longitudinal acceleration sensor unnecessary.

Hope this article was of some help to you both.

Enjoy,
    JR

There was once this manual online
    http://erik.prutser.cx/bmw/m5/EDCIII-repair-manual.pdf

but apparently it is no longer there. Maybe someone has downloaded it and can post it

anyone has downloaded this repair manual before it disappeared?
    If so, let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by shogun; 04-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast