GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Bmw 530i 171,000

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 Bmw 530i 171,000

Joe here in Orlando
    BMW 530I 171,000

I am looking to sell my car. I can't afford the repairs because I am a full time college student. The car does have some transmission problems, I just had the brakes and rotors changed for a cost over $500 dollars, had up control arms bushings installed on driver and passenger side. The vehicle runs good and body is in good condition. Can someone tell me what would be a good asking price for this car? Do you think this car would sell well on Ebay?

Why would you pay $500 for a brake job?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default what's it worth?

well, if you disclose the car need some transmission work, and you really should or bad Karma could ruin your day, the car ain't worth too much, I'm thinkin' about what you paid for the brake job, a little more to the right guy. Just my 0.02 USD

Sorry I couldn't be more positive,

John in CT
    1995 525i 5 speed

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 BMW 530i Trans-171,000 Sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Why would you pay $500 for a brake job?
    I replaced front and rear rotors, replaced the old brakes with Pagid dics both front and rear each rotor cost $55 for parts.

Green Bimmer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John in CT
    well, if you disclose the car need some transmission work, and you really should or bad Karma could ruin your day, the car ain't worth too much, I'm thinkin' about what you paid for the brake job, a little more to the right guy. Just my 0.02 USD

Sorry I couldn't be more positive,

John in CT
    1995 525i 5 speed
    Guest this was the wrong place to ask. Thanks A LOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bimmer
    Guest this was the wrong place to ask. Thanks A LOT!!
    I think what we're trying to say is............. if you take care of the tranny issue, you may see the return on your repair dollars (of course pending the particular problem). If you don't, potential buyers will assume the worst and milk you for it. I don't know much about the autos, but from what I've head, they can be dear to fix. If you don't know exactly what is wrong with it and can't put a dollar figure to it, then expect the worst. I recommend finding out more if you don't know. Out of interest, what do the classified in you area say you'll get for a 'good' one?

Oh, and while I think $500 might be a low ball offer, I don't believe the poster was attempting to be cruel or unrealistic. If anything, Alex may have come across a bit blunt with his brake 'inquiry'

Anyhow, good luck with it,
    Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Green Bimmer Guest

Let's just say I know when not to insult people. Insulting is so easy to do. Try being nice for a change

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    I think what we're trying to say is............. if you take care of the tranny issue, you may see the return on your repair dollars (of course pending the particular problem). If you don't, potential buyers will assume the worst and milk you for it. I don't know much about the autos, but from what I've head, they can be dear to fix. If you don't know exactly what is wrong with it and can't put a dollar figure to it, then expect the worst. I recommend finding out more if you don't know. Out of interest, what do the classified in you area say you'll get for a 'good' one?

Oh, and while I think $500 might be a low ball offer, I don't believe the poster was attempting to be cruel or unrealistic. If anything, Alex may have come across a bit blunt with his brake 'inquiry'

Anyhow, good luck with it,
    Dave M

$500 is realistic if the car has worn seats, delaminated door panels, a sagging headliner, shrinking door seals, worn suspension, a Nikasil and a ton of deferred maintenance.

If it's in reasonable shape, I'd say it will fetch a grand. Possibly two grand if it's in great to pristine shape and only needs a transmission.

Alex, if you think $500 is getting raped on a brake job --

On an E39 M5, the car that everyone on this board seems to want to own, ONE front, directional rotor, retails for $288.

I'll never forget picking up some parts at the dealer one day about a year ago and witnessing some poor sucker who just found out that his E39 M5 needed a brake job AND had a locked front caliper.

Speaking of expensive brake jobs I almost fell over when I saw what the PO of our new 95 525i Touring paid to have the frt done not long ago. His shop used BMW factory parts & replaced both calipers at $433.00 each! Both rotors at $260 a pair + the brake hoses & I forget what they got for those. Thats over $1000 in parts + pads and labor just for the front.
    Last edited by John B.; 01-16-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

Green Bimmer Guest

The Car is in good condition inside and outside. I was told my ZOTZ in Winter Park that a used Trans would cost $1500 Dollars. I am just kinda tired of BMW and everybody wants to take a bite at my paycheck. I now want a Chevy S-10

[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalevera
    $500 is realistic if the car has worn seats, delaminated door panels, a sagging headliner, shrinking door seals, worn suspension, a Nikasil and a ton of deferred maintenance.

If it's in reasonable shape, I'd say it will fetch a grand. Possibly two grand if it's in great to pristine shape and only needs a transmission.

Alex, if you think $500 is getting raped on a brake job --

On an E39 M5, the car that everyone on this board seems to want to own, ONE front, directional rotor, retails for $288.

I'll never forget picking up some parts at the dealer one day about a year ago and witnessing some poor sucker who just found out that his E39 M5 needed a brake job AND had a locked front caliper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast