GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: still fighting

Default still fighting

the 50-60 shimmy in my 525i

changing the upper arms and tie rods helped alot but didn't cure the problem.

all tyres changed and balanced
    all brake disks and pads changed

next?
    im not sure!

i have 16" replica wheels

seems like all coming options are going to be costly.
    im thinking new original wheels, or replacing other suspension parts.

can't do both together right now..
    so what do you guys think i have to do first?
    save up for new good wheels
    or replace other suspension parts?

many thanks

You in Oregon? I'll give you my old bottlecaps that I just took off for 50 bucks. They work great, just not as beautiful as my style-5s.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Have you always had this shimmy?

I remember having a vibration in my car caused by the two-piece driveshaft being assembled out of it's original position, imbalancing it, but not a shimmy.

When you had tires put on your car, did they remove the stickers from the tires before balancing? If not, make them do it again. My Paps used to balance his tires when he worked at the dealership and the sticker actually weighed alot and the wheel would become imbalanced after the sticker came off the tire. The other guys didn't believe him until he ran the tire with the sticker, then removed it and ran it again. It's comical seeing guys leave tire shops with Corvettes and Vipers where they left the sticker on the tire. Not safe!

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPopTart
    Have you always had this shimmy?

I remember having a vibration in my car caused by the two-piece driveshaft being assembled out of it's original position, imbalancing it, but not a shimmy.

When you had tires put on your car, did they remove the stickers from the tires before balancing? If not, make them do it again. My Paps used to balance his tires when he worked at the dealership and the sticker actually weighed alot and the wheel would become imbalanced after the sticker came off the tire. The other guys didn't believe him until he ran the tire with the sticker, then removed it and ran it again. It's comical seeing guys leave tire shops with Corvettes and Vipers where they left the sticker on the tire. Not safe!
    lol at username
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

wheel bearings, drive shaft (and/or guibo/center bearing), etc, etc..

did they do a roadforce balance with the tire pressre the same across the board?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

do you know about Hubcentric rings? These are alminum rings which fit over the wheel hub onto which you put the wheels .Theyprevent the offcenter tightening of the wheels and completely fixed my 50 mph shimmy when i first got the car.I contacted Rondell, the manufaturer of my wheels and they told me The rings have to be 74.1 to 72.6 and the name is ZRH for my Rondell 58's at 17x8.5. maybe since these are aftermarket wheels you need them as well and the wheel manufacturer could give you the right size.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg
    You in Oregon? I'll give you my old bottlecaps that I just took off for 50 bucks. They work great, just not as beautiful as my style-5s.
    if they work better than my wheels i don't mind buying them and putting them on Temporarily till i save some cash for new wheels.

50 bucks is a good deal but can you ship them to middle east for free?

thanks
    you just gave me an option to consider

also, did you have the transmission and engine mounts replaced? even a single mount on my engine made a world of difference.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

get your wheels checked for roundness and straightness.A small bend can cause ashimmy in these cars.Most alloy wheels can be repaired very successfully,but they need to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.See if you can borrow a set of std wheels and tyre in that are known to be good
    Gone but not forgotten

yes Angry
    i had this shimmy since i got the car a month and half ago
    funny thing i didn't notice any shimmy when i test drove the car for like half an hour before buying it!

yes stikers were removed then tires were balanced.

was your vibration noticable only in the 50-60 mph range?
    my cars goes just fine before and after that speed range.
    i think i will take a look at the driveshaft to make sure everything is in the right position.
    many thanks

--------

BillionPa

will have to check wheel bearings althou i don't notice any sound but yes they might be shot and i have no clue when the last time they have been changed.

i will let my mechanic look at the drive shaft aswell..but i am not sure a bad guibo/center bearing cause vibration only between 50 and 60 mph

-------

Jehu
    i don't know much about hubcentric rings.. does it work like a wheel spacers?
    excuse my ingnorance

last week a friend told me he bought a costum made wheel spacer ring from a turning shop (a shop here checked his wheels and made him the rings)..he claims they work fine on hes 17" replicas and they solved hes high speed vibration..maybe he was talking about hubcentric rings?

since this is not a costly option i will give it a try but honestly i don't know where my wheels come from!
    can a shop measure what hubcentric size i need? and do you thing doing them in a torning shop is a good idea or is it more complicated for thsese little shops to get perfect?

thx for your help guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast