GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Shes playing up! Help!!

Default Shes playing up! Help!!

Ok, so I'm driving in to London on Saturday afternoon when whilst stuck in a **** load of stop start traffic I rather amateurishly managed to stall the 5er on a slight incline.
    So I turn of the ignition and try to crank the engine over. Lights come on, and absolutely nothing happens. It’s as though theirs no starter even under the hood!

Ok so trying to put the shame and embarrassment to the back of mind, on go the hazards and I pop the bonnet.

Can’t see anything that could be remotely wrong. All fuses are fine and every thing else I keep in good fettle.

Also worth noting the first couple of times I try the ignition the coolant level warning comes on. Temp gage remained at a perfect 90o (vertical!) and the coolant was at right level in the expansion tank.

Approximately 7-8 minuets after the engine stopped I turned the ignition and it just cranked and fired first time, and then ran as though nothing had happened!

Please, please help me, I love this, my 2nd E34, and I need to put this fault right ASAP as I'm going to Germany for work again next week.

Something similar happened about 8 months ago shortly after I bought the car. I stopped to go in a shop for a few minuets and it wouldn’t start until the 3rd or 4th time.

More info: 1995, 540-6, 190,000 miles, block replaced 100k ago, single button remote, factory alarm, chip immobiliser inside the key.

When it staled in London the external temp sensor was reading 18 degrees c. ambient outside temperature was no more than 14. The first time it happened was on a very hot day 25+. Also just lately I’ve noticed a couple of false bulb out warnings on the dash and some times when ive had the lights on and I’ve turned off the ignition the interior lights haven’t come on.

Many thanx in advance,

Steve.

I'd start by checking that the battery connections are tight and clean, then check the battery and alternator, then the fusible link, then the starter solenoid.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    I'd start by checking that the battery connections are tight and clean, then check the battery and alternator, then the fusible link, then the starter solenoid.
    Battery and connections are perfect, fuses are all intact. Were should I start with the starter & solenoid, as it a pain in the arse to get at?

Absolutely nothing was touched or altered in the time it needed to "rest" before starting. As though it needed a cooling of period or the immobiliser had engaged some how. Or I’m I heading down the wrong path?!

Cheers for the help.

heat soak.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I had a 525i M20 that would fail to start when it got hot -- it was a bad solenoid. Get the car well warmed up; when it fails to turn over, verify you're getting voltage to the coil of the solenoid when you try to start the car. If there's full battery voltage, then it's a failing solenoid. Wiring diagrams here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

check the fusable link under the back seat?
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-16-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Did your dash lights dim or did you hear a clicking when you turned the key? That might point to an iffy battery. I would be checking the solendoid terminals are tight too.

As Warren Clarke's (Daziel of Dalziel and Pasco fame) dad said when he left home to become and actor in London: Keep your hand on your holiday money and watch out for them southern nancy boys :-)