GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: help needed with a ignition barrell

Default help needed with a ignition barrell

hello guys how are you all? im new here so if i do anything wrong please say.
    i need some help ive got a 93 525i and ive lost the keys ive got the alarm fob so the doors open but i need to take the barrell out to replace it. is there anyway to do this without the key?.i know i could go to the main dealer and get a key cut but theve quoted £80 for a key when i could get a barrell for £20 or a complete lock set for £35. any help gratefuly recieved

Get the key. Changing the barrel w/o the key means removing the column lock. I don't remember if it can be done w/o destroying the lock. At the very least you will need to replace the shear bolts.
    Go to another dealer for the key, the are overcharging. I paid ~40 USD for mine.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default They can't just "cut" the key......

Quote Originally Posted by churchill30
    hello guys how are you all? im new here so if i do anything wrong please say.
    i need some help ive got a 93 525i and ive lost the keys ive got the alarm fob so the doors open but i need to take the barrell out to replace it. is there anyway to do this without the key?.i know i could go to the main dealer and get a key cut but theve quoted £80 for a key when i could get a barrell for £20 or a complete lock set for £35. any help gratefuly recieved
    for a E34 and newer. They have to order it from BMW in Germany. You usually have to present proof of ownership, like title or other paperwork, when you order it. That price seems real steep for another key. Tell them that you don't want the master key, just the emergency or backup key. I think they are cheaper.

Can you get a locksmith to try and pick that mutha and at least turn it half way? If so, I think you can insert a pin into the hole behind the barrel and the whole thing comes out. Then you can put in a new barrel.

That sucks then, because you have one key that starts the car, but won't work on the doors or the trunk.
    Last edited by JD525IA; 01-17-2007 at 02:25 PM.

I was quoted $50 for a master key for my 95 525iT today. They need to see the registration & the license of the owner to order it. Luckily a friend of mine is a locksmith & he has the machine to lazer cut the blank so I had him order a couple up.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

It only takes a couple of days, perhaps express shipping from Germany is the reason for the uber price.
    I was asked to prove ownership.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I've just gotten a new master key from the dealer and paid a little over $50 for it. This is the fancy one with the built-in flashlight too. If I remember correctly, prices ranged from just over 40 to a little over 50 depending on what key type was ordered.