GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: sunroof problems

Default sunroof problems

anywhere I can get better pics for the Assembly and disassembling of the E31 sunroof, mine doesn't close properly until I lift it up a little bit and when driving fast it starts to leak again until I close it a little bit.

In the Bentley manual for the E32 is a good description, should be similar on the E31.
    As far as I remember:
    remove the motor, the close the sunroof completely with the tool in the tool box.
    Then use the switch to open and then to close. Now it has the exact points registered. Then install the motor again. Fenito.

well I took a look but it's similar to the E36 design. I need to completely remove the sunroof mechanism to fix it as it's acting loose.

ok .. u need to push the sunroof to the "up" position (so the back is tilted up).

take a look from the outside of the car.. and u might see them:

- there are two clips on each side of the sunroof, between the two panels (one panel comes up while the other panel slides back).

these clips are forward facing.. u need to find the front of them (looks like a long pin about 1/8" in diameter and about 2" long and press them towards the OUTSIDE of the car .. this will release the bit that holds the inner sunroof piece.

if u can't see em just fish around with your finger a bit from the inside of the car above the lower panel.. and hook it around.. ul find em.

then all you do is slide the roof piece forward and lift it out through the back of the sunroof opening

then.. sit inside the car and look at the side of the sunroof mechanism.. there are three adjusting screws.. one forward, one middle, and one at the back of the sunroof.. u can adjust these and set em to whatever height suits u.

should fix u up..

as far as putting that slider piece back in.. it's a bit of a bitch to do.. but ul figure it out with a bit of messing around. one of my clips broke entirely so i didn't bother putting it in

unfortunately leaving it this way will allow you to see a bit of the roof mechanism when it is closed.. on each side there will be a bit of metal showing.. not something i notice really

hope that helps.. feel free to pm me if u have any more questions
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

that sounds cool ... you gave me the guts to try it. so I'll do it this Friday cuz it's getting really annoying on highways. by the way the interior mechanism also moves heavily, or vibrates when I close it, I don't know if I need to replace anything to fix it. so if you can suggest me any repair kit to buy before I start so I wont have the roof opened until I do so.

Thanks dude.

well.. chances are either a tooth or two is/are broken.. or maybe the mechanism itself is misaligned.. try opening it up (push so back comes up) and have a look inside.. see if u can see anything in there.. like i mentioned i just removed the interior piece entirely.. i doubt i will ever fix it as i'm sure the pieces are expensive as hell and/or hard to find.. maybe i should take some pics. i remember i still owe u some pics of my system.. i'll do em tomorrow
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

sorry bud.. takes me forever to do this ****

pics:

on this last pic the shape that looks like a bottle is the actual plastic bit with a gear that connects to the drive mechanism.. the line coming out of the top.. u push that out in the direction of the arrow

the head u need to adjust the height is an inverted star thingy
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

that seems clear, I need to try it soon, I will first try to adj. the sunroof and spray some w40, then I will test it .. or I will need a full disassembly !!

wish me luck ... thanks dude you still owe me ur car audio system pics

Quote Originally Posted by grave77
    that seems clear, I need to try it soon, I will first try to adj. the sunroof and spray some w40, then I will test it .. or I will need a full disassembly !!

wish me luck ... thanks dude you still owe me ur car audio system pics
    i know.. i took one of the sub.. but it's boring.. typical ****.. 10" in a box. behind it are the goodies tho.. monoblock and 4-way (waste since i only run fronts) .. nicely mounted on the back of the seat. hard to take pics i'll have to pull the sub out
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike