GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M5 e34 Injectors specs

Default M5 e34 Injectors specs

Hello!

Could somebody give some information for the injectors on a M5 e34 3,8? Can i upgrade them? If yes with what?

Thanks!
    Akis
    M50 POWER
    BUT S38B38 RULES

This might help

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=3

When you scroll down, there will be a highlighted Bosch #701, that is the injector used for the 3.6 M5. The 3.8 Euro used Lucas injectors. One of the main differences between the two, Lucas was a disc type and Bosch was a pintle type. The injectors are interchangeable, but the Bosch units are 3 times the cost of the Lucas. Some fellow E34 M5 enthusiasts have changed from the Bosch units to the Lucas with reportedly good results.

The flow rates for the Lucas units are 290cc/min. or 28 lbs. per hour
    The flow rates for the BOSCH units are 240cc/min. or 22.85 lbs. per hour

Since replacement cost for the BOSCH units is prohibitive, I've been looking at Injector shops that will rebuild and flow test my existing injectors back to factory specs for something like $20 an injector.

I wouldn't think you would want to "upgrade" your injectors as they already dump copious amounts of fuel into the cylinders. I think new replacement Lucas injectors are like $60 USD each.

Hope this helps,

JR

Default Jr, not that it matters but bmw's flow rates

for the 3.6 701 are a little different as seen on this attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    This might help

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=3

When you scroll down, there will be a highlighted Bosch #701, that is the injector used for the 3.6 M5. The 3.8 Euro used Lucas injectors. One of the main differences between the two, Lucas was a disc type and Bosch was a pintle type. The injectors are interchangeable, but the Bosch units are 3 times the cost of the Lucas. Some fellow E34 M5 enthusiasts have changed from the Bosch units to the Lucas with reportedly good results.

The flow rates for the Lucas units are 290cc/min. or 28 lbs. per hour
    The flow rates for the BOSCH units are 240cc/min. or 22.85 lbs. per hour

Since replacement cost for the BOSCH units is prohibitive, I've been looking at Injector shops that will rebuild and flow test my existing injectors back to factory specs for something like $20 an injector.

I wouldn't think you would want to "upgrade" your injectors as they already dump copious amounts of fuel into the cylinders. I think new replacement Lucas injectors are like $60 USD each.

Hope this helps,

JR
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The BMW data sheet shown is probably more accurate, if we take the total cc/min and divide by 5 it shows that BMW's numbers come up to 54hp per injector x 6 = 324 total hp given by these injectors for an engine that came stock with 311 hp.

Stan Weiss' numbers fall short by 11 hp when figuring stock 311 hp for US models. Where BMW's numbers will make more sense especially after aging, the fuel injectors will still perform because of the built in 5% margin.

But who goes around maxing out their injectors all the time constantly running the engine at it's peak?

There is something to mention about the BMW data sheet here, it says the injectors for the M5 is supposed to be ivory, but they are yellow....

Thanks Bill for posting the data sheet.