GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: new fuel filter increases fuel pressure 10 psi? Not on e34.....

Default OT: new fuel filter increases fuel pressure 10 psi? Not on e34.....

twas the 1999 ford taurus with the 3.0l vulcan 12 valve v6. after running out of gas for the second time in two months (all on a marginal to weak battery--i wasn't the one driving it around like that......) the vehicle in question would only run for about 5 minutes before cutting off. everyone was telling me that the fuel pump was probably done for, as it likely got hot when it was operating, eventually seizing up after a couple of minutes. this made sense to me, so i put the $7.99 harbor freight fuel pressure gauge (with ford and chevy test port adaptors, really good deal even if only lasts a couple of uses) up to the car with it stone cold. the key on pressure was about 15 psi. i didn't think it could possibly start with it like this, but it did. operating pressure was about 30 psi, which is about the bottom edge of allowable pressure while running. after about 7 minutes or so, the car struggled, and died, while slowly dropping pressure. we couldn't get the car to restart, but the key on stayed at around 15-20 psi. for amusement's sake, we put the gauge on a 98 ford ranger, which has the same motor except in a RWD configuration. i don't remember what the key on pressure was, but it was enough to make fuel seep from the hose to gauge connection. starting the engine produced a gauge pressure of 60 psi and gasoline leaking everywhere. i replaced the fuel filter on the taurus little over a year and under 12k miles ago to try and solve a driveability issue, but i did it again just for $%it and giggles. i was thinking that i was probably wasting time that i could be using to do the inevitable fuel tank drop and fuel pump replacement, but it would only take 10 minutes. long story short, the key on pressure was now 25 psi, and the running pressure was 10 psi higher at 40. all of this from changing a <year old fuel filter. that didn't fix the problem (aftermarket replacement coil pack connector likes to slip loose apparently). anyone explain why this would increase pressure so much? or is my gauge just really, really crappy? your thoughts, please.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Probably since you ran the tank "multiple times" empty and the gross **** at the bottom of the tank clogged the gross **** of a fuel filter and they pressure was pre filter and low on post filter. You should have installed a T between the filter and the tank to see if you were getting fall-off. Either way, completely feasible that the pressure went up after replacing the garbage filter. Also, you could have simply, in addition to loading the equivalent of **** water through it, had a bad filter from the factory anyway.

hey hey hey, chill out there, killer.
    i've told the person that drives this car that you only get one or two gas "run outs" per fuel pump, and that if they want to do it again, they're going to be paying a mechanic 4-600$ to change the fuel pump, 'cause i'm not touching it. i count about 3 "run outs" during this vehicle's life (that i've been told about). this person likes to run low on gas sooo much that i've had to put the two or three vehicles (they) drive on the marvel mystery oil diet--as in one or two or maybe 3 solid quarts, one per whole tank of gas to get their gas gauges working again, on two separate occasions. i know its not a very good, healthy way to do it, but they're female, and i worry about them too much than to hope the gauge will eventually start working again. the MMO always gets it unstuck in one or two quarts (usually).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Pull the pump

and clean the strainer/filter on the pump intake and it'll will run like Henry Ford fixed it himself.

You'd be amazed at how much crap the gas station pumps in your car at each fill up.

rust, sand, water, silt....oh, yeah ethanol too

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    and clean the strainer/filter on the pump intake and it'll will run like Henry Ford fixed it himself.

You'd be amazed at how much crap the gas station pumps in your car at each fill up.

rust, sand, water, silt....oh, yeah ethanol too

hahahahah no way in hell
    i'm not dropping that SOB gas tank if the car is running OK (500+ miles says ok). it doesn't have a little access panel like a japanese car or our e34s.