GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: fuel pump hose clamps

Default fuel pump hose clamps

I'm planning to replace my fuel pump this weekend(assuming it arrives). From what I've read, I'll be replacing hose clamps and possibly fuel lines. How many clamps will I need, and should I get BMW clamps or are generic fuel line clamps from the auto store good enough for this job?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

just get generic small clams - who knows how many you'll need pick up like 10 they are cheap you can use them in the future.

Don't over tighten worm type clamps or it destroys the hose. I don't like BMW clamps because they are crimp style and over time they always seem to loosen - though the fuel rail clamps from BMW are nicer screw type but still, generic will do.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    I'm planning to replace my fuel pump this weekend(assuming it arrives). From what I've read, I'll be replacing hose clamps and possibly fuel lines. How many clamps will I need, and should I get BMW clamps or are generic fuel line clamps from the auto store good enough for this job?
    I would use FI hose clamps. The generic worm type don't tighten as well and they can damage the fuel hose.
    The good FI clamps have the edges rolled upward, so they won't cut the hose when you tighten them.

This is the type you want:

If you have a wrecking yard near by you can stock on nice OEM ones in stainless steel. You can find some nice ones on older japanese and Euro cars real cheap.
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

the bmw worm clamps suck they are easyly stripped and don't seem to hold their tightness and i am not a big fan of these not enough range of adjustment and they are usually not user friendly when they get old, get regular worm clamps (from a boat store if possible) and make sure if you replace fuel line it's rated for fuel injection, the dipshit at the parts store doesn't always know. just the pump should be 3 clamps if you just do the ones you need to open, 7-9 or more if you want to do both fuel lines up to the hard lines and all of the clamps to just forward of the filter, probably wouldn't hurt to get 10 or so
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

When I did mine I bought six clamps at the dealer, I used four. The ones that came out were the crimp type. The new ones from the dealer were screw. There is no need to replace the ones at the bottom of the sending unit.

Two of them are going inside the gas tank, use stainless. The ones from the dealer were well made and I used a 6mm socket to tighten instead of a screwdriver, much easier to do and also to tell how tight it's getting so you don't over tighten.

To make it easier on yourself, have less than 1/4 tank when you start the job, your hands will thank you.

I also bought 2 meters of FI hose, didn't use any of it, I just refreshed the ends of the existing hose by cutting off around 3/4 in. with a cigar cutter.

I also didn't use the gasket that I bought, it is a thick rubber gasket and is reusable. Just clean well around the sending unit before you remove it or alot of that crap will end up in your tank. I used a stiff brush to loosen the dirt and a vacuum to get it away from the opening.

Mark the hoses before you remove them from the sending unit and the pump itself. Also mark the +/- leads to the pump, I had to put spade connectors on them and the poles were reversed on the new pump.

Thanks guys, very informative.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles