Background:

I may have goten bad deal on e-bay when I purchesed a DME for the M50(405). I know I've got little chance of seeing my $$ again, but I'll feel better if I at least try to build a case. In short, I thought my DME may have been bad due to intermitent running issues, but I have since identified the fuel pump power source as the culprit and fixed it. So I receive the 'new' DME in the meantime, try it out for fun and it runs like **** right away (missing/running on <6 cylinders-car shakes at idle). I let it idle a while and it doesn't change. I re-instal it, same thing. So I e-mail the seller.

The seller is, of course, stating that its fine and the problem is due to, as he states he states "Your spark plugs may be fouled, if this ecu is chipped it'll be dumping extra fuel into your engine" (read whole story below). So, on that note, I cracked it open and saw what I believe to be a stock chip. Just want to confirm.

Chip info:
Black chip
# on white sticker01 001 486 759
Its made by AMD and has 1986 typed on it.

Does this sound like a stock chip??

Just for fun, here is his response to my e-mail regarding the problem.

OK, this unit was removed from an awesome running and driving 1992 BMW 525i with a 2.5L engine, I know so because I drove it for 3 weeks to work in October. There should be a service sticker on the backside stating a service was done on March 30 1995. I only had one of these with that sticker (the chip I received had NO service sticker). A lumpy idle on one cylinder would mean that this ECU doesn't match your MAF sensor or your MAF sensor is confusing your ECU. If your fuel injectors aren't clean when you insert a chipped ECU then your engine wants to stumble at low RPM and clear up at high RPM. Your spark plugs may be fouled, if this ecu is chipped it'll be dumping extra fuel into your engine. The ECU does not control spark to the spark plugs, it controls the point at which the fuel injector opens and closes. It reads what the MAF and MAP sensors tell it as far as air entering the engine and the vacuum produced, those sensors tell it how much fuel to spray into the engine. Take the MAF mass air flow sensor off and see if there's moisture, dust or oil in the intake tube, that may confuse the MAF sensor. I will not issue a refund because I state in the listing the item is sold as-is, I will not send you a replacement because I do not have one. If you had a good working unit why would you buy another? Something on your end isn't working and if I was there to install it I would know exactly what is wrong. ...michael

Thanks for reading,

Oh, and thanks to Nat for selling me another DME (just in case )

Dave M