GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Different Air Filters tested to ISO 5011 standards

Default Different Air Filters tested to ISO 5011 standards

The following website contains a data intensive study of air filters for a General Motors Duramax diesel. Lots of data measured scientifically with flow rates, filtration efficiency and capacities to an ISO 5011 standard.

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
    "Is that a geo duck in your pocket or are you just a happy sashimi? - Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs, on Discovery Channel

nice find. sticking with k&n. mainly because i've got one and don't like cracking that box open if i don't need to.

Good find... I've always said the same thing about the filters...

Car Info is HERE

Too bad we cannot get an AC Delco filter, they look to be pretty kick-ass.

based on the dust loading curves and restriction vs dust passed, i would say AFE is the superior filter in a car application.

the test was done using a coarse dust test, and didnt show percentages of passed dust by micron size.

i have no idea where they got that Amsoil filter from, as they sell the Wix filter as the only replacement for GM OE 25332443. Amsoil air filters are made by Hastings, which interestingly is a subsidiary of Clarcor, who own Baldwin AND Purolator! The various filters of these companies do not use the same design or technology.

Donaldson makes their own i think, and even supply air filters to the military for use in desert combat, as they do VERY well in extreme heavy duty, high dust, long interval operation. They also oil filters for Amsoil along with Baldwin.

Note to all, just because this ACDelco filter is good, doesnt mean others are, as there is no consistency in manufacturer or technology between their air and oil filters.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default You can get a

ACDelco air filter for bmw's, just go to their website and look it up in the catalog. Most larger cities have a ac delco warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by acidfire52
    Too bad we cannot get an AC Delco filter, they look to be pretty kick-ass.

I've never understood these air filter debates. All the guys I know, and who my Dad new since he was young with hot rods, street rods, rat rods, muscle cars, what-have-you, who have been running all manner of trick carburetor setups on their hot motors using nothing but metal screens to keep stuff like leaves or air-borne pieces of trash out of their intakes, have never had an engine go bad because "ZOMG DIRT GETS IN MY ENGINE AND MAKES IT WEAR FASTER!" Of course they are also fanatical about changing their oil; say every 2000 or even 1000 miles.

I change my oil and filter every 2000 miles. If you don't give oil a chance to go bad, it won't.

Edit: Not sure how open air would affect an AFM or MAF though. I have heard that it dramatically increases the wear rate of turbo's and superchargers, but I haven't seen any first-hand evidence of that either. Seems that people fanatical about maintenance don't have these troubles.

If people want to try for more flow, but keep the protection of an OE paper filter than maybe someone should design a new airbox that uses two inlets and two filters instead of trying to cram everything through a single filter. Sort of like those dual filter setups for 3rd gen camaro's.
    Last edited by AngryPopTart; 01-15-2007 at 04:55 AM.